Monday, September 10, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

This is a “so what story”
I’ve titled this a “so-what story” due to the subject matter.  Laker fans will remember Andrew Bynum, one of the last in the class of high school players drafted in the NBA.  The 7-foot 285-pound Bynum was brought along slowly and by the 2007-08 season future stardom was very much in evidence.  Then suddenly it struck, there was no one thing anyone can point out perhaps a combination of occurrences. 
A series of injuries and Bynum appeared to have “lost” his way.  Bynum went on a journey from Cleveland to Indiana eventually leaving the game in 2014 due to injury.  Now comes word the former Laker center is attempting a come-back in time to play in the 2018-19 season.  Bynum will turn 31 in October not ancient, he could have some “gas” remaining in the tank.  The Lakers announced late last week the roster spot left open by the departure of Luol Deng will remain open.  That’s all I’m saying about the matter, what do you think?
The second 50
In 1997 the 50th Anniversary of the NBA a team of it’s Top 50 Players was chosen by a committee.  Names selected read like a “Who’s Who” of the NBA Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Jerry West.  Just a few of the names we’ve heard throughout the history of the NBA.  How about a second 50, i.e. athletes who will have played from 1998-2048.  We cannot project 10 or 20 years from now however there are several names we could call right now.  Not in any order but here are just a few who first come to mind:
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
LeBron James
Steph Curry
Kevin Durant
Ben Simmons
Joel Embiid
Longevity and health certainly are keys to any athlete’s future success.  The names listed don’t stand alone, there are 43 names to be added some playing as we speak.  See if your list compares to mind, in my first seven did I omit any you may have chosen…. have fun. 
Bits n Pieces
It’s difficult for me to judge NBA rookies at times, prior to last season I pronounced Ben Simmons rookie of the year, so I feel good about that.  There have been other instances I totally misjudged the ability of an athlete.  I’ve got that same feeling about Laker rookie Svi Mykahiliuk as I did about Simmons.  I don’t believe the Ukrainian youngster will wow anybody with his athletic ability but his shooting.  6-foot 8-inch Svi I believe will be a spot up lights out shooter.  How do I know this will occur, I have no basis other than a gut feeling?  Boy I can’t wait for the season to start. 
Do you remember when LeBron left Cleveland for South Beach?  Video was shone of fans burning his number 23 Cavs jersey.  History is repeating itself although this time LeBron is not the target.  NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the source of several fans outrage.  This morning’s news contained video of burning Nike apparel but that ain’t me.  1.  I respect his right to protest in the manner he’s chosen.  2.  As expensive as Nike apparel is you are not going to see a lighter or match close to mine.  3.  You protest by boycotting the product, Nike’s already profited by your past purchase.  It serves no purpose burning product that’s already been cleared from their inventory.   
2017-18 season was the time to beat Kansas, the Jayhawks are loaded for the 2018-19 season.  Most of the experts have picked them to win the Big 12 championship once again.  The domination by Kansas is more than coaching and talent, I believe it is fear alone.  Big 12 teams excluding Kansas appear to have very good talent.  The problem there is never two or three very good teams to knock the Jayhawks down a notch.  Quit expecting Kansas to lose the Big 12, it will occur one day I’m just not sure what year that might be.