Thursday, September 6, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

The Unicorn
Perhaps those in the NYC area had more information than us on Kristpas Porzingis.  We heard little news, so I decided to conduct my own research, I was curious regarding the status of injured Knicks forward Kristpas Porzingis.  If you remember he’d suffered a torn ACL in February which sidelined him for the balance of the season.  The injury once considered career ending has seen several players return to action with little disparity in their game.  The only report I could uncover indicates Porzingis should return to action around Christmas.   
“Mama there goes that man”
With apologies to ESPN/ABC analyst Mark Jackson I borrowed his phrase for my headline. I did this because the account you are about to read is me, my self-confession.  Bleacher Report says “Luol Deng Buyout Clears Path for LA to Chase Kevin Durant in 2019 Free Agency.”  Guess what, I don’t want Durant on the Lakers, “Hey Larry Laker didn’t you make the same statement about LeBron James?”  I can respond with an emphatic yes, I did state my first choice was for James to remain with the Cavs.  My preference in free-agency in no order Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard.  On the other hand, if Durant wants the Lakers I guess I want him, LOL.  
Side by side comparison
Several factors impact a rookie in the NBA, most of all adjusting to play at a higher level.  We compare players from different eras how about this one.  He shot .385 from the floor, .698 from the free-throw line along with 7.7 assists and 11.7 ppg average.  The other guy shot .360, .451 from the line and 7.2 assists plus 10.2 points per game.  As you note the numbers are certainly near the same, the first guy is Jason Kidd and those are his rookie of the year numbers. 
Did I mention he’s being enshrined in the Hall of Fame on Friday?  The second set of numbers belong to Lonzo Ball of the Lakers and I hope you get the point.  At the same time, I’m not stating Ball is headed for enshrinement in the HOF as well.  What I find most interesting the numbers of Kidd and Ball are comparable and provide us proof a slow start is not always a concern toward an eventual successful NBA career.    

Missed this one
Mike Conley Jr. and Greg Oden attended high school together, Ohio State became their college of choice as a package.  The 7-foot Oden declared for the draft at the end of his freshman year, shortly thereafter teammate Conley Jr. followed.  I remember at the time Oden sure thing, all the scouting reports indicated he’d become an NBA star.  One scout even stated, “He’s the second coming of Bill Russell with his defensive prowess.”
As for Conley Jr. I remember thinking, “He’s making a mistake, he’s not ready for the NBA.”  Oden would become the number one pick in the 2007 NBA draft, as for Conley Jr. he became the 4th pick in that same draft.  After so much promise Oden would have an injury plagued shortened NBA career, he retired after the 2016 season.  As for Conley Jr. the guy I believed wasn’t ready has proven his value to the Grizzlies over the course of his 11-year NBA career.  This example provides proof you cannot tell a book by it’s cover, Conley Jr. is recognized as a quality NBA talent.