Tuesday, September 11, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

Remember when……
I informed you awhile back I was not sure if an Elgin Baylor or James Worthy jersey was in my future.  Okay you might not remember the story, but I indicated I wasn’t sure which jersey to next purchase for my Man-Cave?  Elgin Baylor number 22 was the glue that cemented the franchise in Los Angeles to the city forever.  As for Baylor he would be named Rookie of the Year in 1959 for the Minneapolis Lakers.  "Big Game" James earned his nicknamed numerous times saving his best for crucial games. 
As for my Man-Cave I don’t have a great deal of wall space remaining, so the decision must be made carefully.  Sales and the prospect of saving money always impact my conclusion on any purchase, doesn’t matter it’s a cheeseburger or a jersey.  I came across an Elgin Baylor Minneapolis Lakers jersey; the decision was made because it was on sale.  I ordered it and the Baylor jersey is proudly hanging on a wall in my Man-Cave.  As for the Worthy jersey, I guess I might have to knock out a wall.  

Image result for elgin baylor


The information is out there
I have lamented the fact there is little information on international prospects, not true.  You must research, research and research some more which has often fallen short on my part.  Example, I mentioned my belief the Laker pick Isaac Bonga had “dropped in outta the sky.”  Totally untrue, November 2017 Fansided.com’s Trevor Magnotti published an account titled, “The 10 best international prospects in the 2018 NBA Draft that aren’t Luka Doncic.”  Interesting Magnotti managed to correctly forecast 5 of 10 prospects.  In addition to Bonga also named were:    
Rodions Kurues-Nets
Arnoldas Kulboka-Hornets
Dzanan Musa-Nets
Elie Okobo-Suns 
There is no guarantee any of those named will have the capability for an NBA career.  It only proves the point to you and me in the U.S. the information is available if we dig and search enough.    
2019 free-agent
Luol Deng’s salary comes off the books, the Lakers can now look toward signing another quality free-agent.  I’ve got the one player the team needs to sign, not that guy he’s the other one.  You thought I was going to discuss Kawhi Leonard.  Cast the net widely and you might just acquire a Klay Thompson.  Yes, I could see the smooth shooting guard in the Laker back court alongside Lonzo Ball or someone else.  Thompson is more than offense he plays both ends of the court, a healthy Leonard might be slightly better defensively however Thompson is certainly no slouch.  It’s all speculation at this point.  As for Leonard let’s say this is an either-or scenario, Larry Laker would be satisfied should the team sign either player. 
It could be my imagination
Are the Nets more visible now than all those years in New Jersey?  I make no claim of familiarity with the metro area, but this is what I read.  “New Yorkers won’t cross the Hudson River” I cannot verify the truth in that statement however another account, the 2002 Nets played the Lakers for the NBA championship.  A Kansas City media guy claimed New York City was short of Nets apparel. 
He indicated he visited several sports apparel stores and was unable to locate any Nets gear.  For a variety of reasons founded in 1967 always appeared to be on the move someplace else, since their founding the team has played in seven (7) arenas throughout the State of New York and New Jersey.   In 2012 the team moved into the Barclays Centers which becomes home base number eight (8) this would appear to be the last hurdle to establishing a home.  Not for the action on the court however the Nets certainly appear to be more visible with Brooklyn on the front of their jerseys.