Saturday, January 21, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

This is why
Let’s just say I’m surprised but certainly not shocked.  Russell Westbrook is not a starter for the All-Star team there is a reason why.  I offer you no proof just an assumption on my part, despite the exploits of Westbrook on the court this season he’s not a likable guy. Why do I make that statement you ask?  NBA fans represent 50% of the vote total, media members 25% and players 25%.  
You telling me the guy who is attempting to tie Oscar Robertson’s triple-double record is relegated to a reserve role.  As I’m writing this I have no idea of the vote total but I would believe the votes didn’t come from the fans and fellow NBA players.  Westbrook beats Steph Curry in points and assists per game, he also exceeds Steph in rebounds  As I stated at the beginning I offer no proof. What do you think, am I off base or is there some truth to my view?

A “good loss”
Perhaps you’ve heard this statement in the past.  I once heard a media member refer to a teams’ loss as a “good loss.”  His point was the team had been undefeated and they eased the pressure on themselves by losing a game.  I’ve said at the time and since then “that’s one of the most stupid statements I’ve every heard.”  Who benefits by a loss except the team that wins the game. Somewhere in America a reporter is likely repeating those same words especially after Thursday night.  

Gonzaga registered consecutive win number 18 topping Santa Clara 88-57.  Game wasn’t available in my area so I can offer no insight except Gonzaga remains undefeated.  In 2015 I’m sure plenty of hate-Calipari hate-Kentucky crowd were pleased when Wisconsin upset Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament.  Others wanted to see that team finish the season unblemished, in all 38-1 remains is an outstanding accomplishment.

The silver lining
Are there really positives that emerge from a loss?  In the case of the Lakers I believe the 127-120 loss to the Nuggets provided at least one encouraging note.  Luke Walton removed Timofey Mozgov and replaced him at center with 19-year old Ivica Zubac.  The youngster from Croatia has spent most of this season on the bench or playing for the D-Fenders the Laker D-League team.  

You get the picture up to this game against the Nuggets the 7-1 Zubac has played very little.  I wouldn’t refer to it as a break-out game lets just say it was good.  Zubac scored 11 points grabbed 13 rebounds and blocked 3 shots in the space of 26 minutes.  It was said last June after the draft the Lakers felt good able to acquire Zubac in the second round. There was word in some circles calling the pick a draft “steal.”  There are two reasons why Zubac is not a regular starter, 1.  He’s 19-years old.  2.  He’s 19-years old.  

“What’s in a name?”
The title is a line uttered by Juliet in Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet, this account is also a name issue although certainly different in scope.  At the groundbreaking ceremony for the Chase Center Warriors Coach Steve Kerr said; “I hope they keep the name Golden State.”  The new arena with a planned opening of 2019 is located in San Francisco, as most of are aware the present home of the Warriors Oracle Arena is located in Oakland.  Are you in agreement with maintaining “Golden State” once the team moves across the bay in 2019?  We have the NFL Minnesota Vikings, the baseball Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins.  

At one time the baseball Angels had California in front of their team name.  In the NHL we have the Florida Panthers and New Jersey Devils.  These pro teams name reflects the entire state rather than a city alone.  For those who might be too young to remember at the time the Philadelphia Warriors moved west in 1962 the name of the team was changed to San Francisco.  Over the years the SF Warriors never had a permanent home in the city.  They played in the Cow Palace, Civic Auditorium and records indicate they played in San Jose and Oakland.  In 1972 the Oakland Arena (Oracle) became the Warriors permanent home.