Friday, January 20, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective 

Finally 
Markelle Fultz was worth the wait, I’ve mentioned previously it’s difficult for us in the central and east coast time zones to view weeknight west coast games.  The game between Washington and Colorado didn’t start until 10:00 p.m. central time and guess what it went into overtime, I didn’t look at the clock but figured it concluded somewhere around 12:15 a.m.  Washington has not played very good this season despite the talent of Fultz; they are now 9-9 and 2-4 in the Pac 12.  As for Fultz his game total looked like this 37 points 5 rebounds and 8 assists leading the way in an 85-83 OT victory over Colorado.  

Unbelievable
I must be tuned into the Sixers telepathically somehow.  Tuesday night for Wednesdays edition of Words eye view I wrote; “Ben Simmons should shut it down and wait till next season.”  I gave my reason go back and read it if you care doesn’t really matter.  Late Wednesday afternoon comes word from ESPN.com that “Simmons might be on the court after the All-Star break.”  What do I know I’m just a guy sitting in his Man-Cave publishing a basketball blog?

Is it real?
We could be fooled after all it occurred once before, the late Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell had classic battles on the basketball court.  Off the court they were friendly towards one another I read they often had dinner together the night before facing one another on the court.  The relationship between Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook is different they were teammates.  Any friendship appears to have evaporated between the two.  

It was reported Westbrook claimed Durant never contacted him about his move to the Warriors. We are in the middle of January and neither has spoken to one another.  I’ve always questioned if there was really a friendship in the first place.  Consider this in my work place I encountered a number of co-workers I could say in truth they were fellow employees.  At the same time I have an equal number who I consider friends.  Durant and Westbrook may have never been friends’ just fellow employees.    

Troubled athlete
From time to time a basketball talent appears on the scene that’s headed down the wrong path. That’s become the picture for 7-1 260 pound Zach Brown a 19-year old Miami prospect.  I first became aware of Brown two years ago when I read a story on life story, he and his brother had grown up in poverty in the Liberty City section of Miami.  Adopted as a teen by a wealthy family he changed schools and appeared headed upward bound. He attended a prep institution intending to enroll at UConn and then the troubles began.  He was dismissed from the prep school and returned home to Miami.  UConn no longer interested severed ties with him, the short version Brown signs a letter of intent to St. John’s while finishing at a Miami prep school.   

January 9th Brown was charged with first degree theft misdemeanor, driving with a suspended license and an expired tag on his vehicle.  This was not the first incident In May 2016 Brown was charged with credit card fraud and robbery.  He is a talent on the basketball court but cannot stay out of trouble off the court.  The January incident forced St. John’s to withdraw its offering to him. His future other than the judicial system is in limbo at this stage.  He needs to decide if he wants to play basketball or pursue a life of crime.  For now it appears Juco is his only basketball option I doubt any Division I program will be offering