Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

What do you think?
I’m unsure what to think about Rajon Rondo anymore.  There is no doubting his talent (short of being an effective shooter) his attitude appears to be an issue once again.  The Bulls now become his 4th NBA team and now he’s been benched, reports are he’s said; ‘He will seek a trade if I remain on the bench.’  Rondo helped win the most recent championship for the Celtics but has moved from the Celtics to the Mavs to the Kings and now the Bulls.  

I once read an assessment where it was claimed ‘Rondo was a stat stuffer’, someone who plays the game for themselves rather than teammates.  Another said; ‘Rondo is a throw-back to the days when point guards were not shooters.‘ Although Rondo had ‘baggage’ from years past the Bulls were willing to sign him to a two-year contract.  We can only wonder if Bulls management is questioning their decision.

This is too funny----maybe only to me
Callie went on twitter rant last week complaining about NBA officiating.  Not that unusual, fans and members of the media often use tweets to voice their concerns about officiating however Callie is different.  Callie’s last name is Rivers and her father is Doc her brother Austin.  The sister was complaining about her dad and brother being ejected in the Clippers Rockets game.  We are yet to hear from Doc's wife Kristen and the balance of the clan, Jeremiah and Spencer, stand by.  

My likes and dislikes
I like the improved play over last season by the Lakers; I dislike the lack of team defense at times.  I like the instant offense Lou Williams and Jordan Clarkson are able to offer as reserves.  I dislike the Larry Nance Jr. injury every few weeks it seems.  Despite the apparent talent of Nance Jr. the injury bug seems to be a regular in convenience to the continuity of the team.  I like the ability of the 6-9 Brandon Ingram as the point forward; I dislike the poor shooting start thus far although he proved to be good shooter in college.  
I like the new and improved Swaggy P.; I dislike the up and down performance of veteran Luol Deng to this point.  

Deng was to bring a veteran presence and it‘s likely he has its his up and down offense that concerns me.  I like the drafting of Ivica Zubac; I dislike he’s getting no playing time maybe he should be assigned to the D-League Defenders for the season.  After no job at the beginning of the season I like Thomas Robinson has secured a role with the team.  I dislike all the injuries which have impacted maturity of a young team.  I like GM Mitch Kupchak and co-owner Jeannie Buss, I dislike co-owner Jim Buss, Jimmy is still quietly in the background as the puppet master.  

Basketball in Canada
This could be my imagination I have no documentation to prove my point.  Hoopshype Canada indicates the overwhelming majority of Top 40 Class of 2016 high school athletes are currently in the U.S.  As for the Top 40 Class of 2017 Canadian youth they are here currently. They play at Oak Hill, Findley Prep and Montverde to name a few schools.  I’m sure hockey reigns supreme in Canada but I’m unsure about basketball.  

Its likely basketball ranks above baseball but how about Canadian football?  Count the number of Canadian NBA players, the numbers playing high school ball either at home or the U.S. Add the National Basketball League of Canada plus those playing in Europe and the totals are likely far beyond those of Canadian football.  Just speculation as I indicated early I have no numbers to validate my belief.  We discuss NBA expansion everywhere in the U.S. except Canada; the NBA needs to look north.