Thursday, January 26, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective

Seriously!
The NBA season is long, running from October training camp and play to June when the champ is crowned.  Over that period even good teams (including NBA Champions) have down periods.  I’m attempting to determine the issue with LeBron James.  The Cavs have lost 5 out off their last 6 games but the roof hasn’t collapsed.  He believes they lack depth at several positions and management has made no attempt to address the issue.    

“I’m 33 years old” was uttered by LeBron indicating his window might be closing.  The Cavs sit in first place comfortably and the bigger question is this can any of the pretenders beat them?  If you are Celtic, Hawks or Raptor fan I’m not trying to put down your team.  I believe those teams and others don’t have enough in their arsenal to beat the Cavs in a playoff series.  Perhaps LeBron is looking ahead to facing the Warriors, Spurs or Rockets. 

Winning
So many basketball teams and I must admit my focus has been placed on NCAA Division I schools. That’s certainly not to say that is the only level winning basketball is being played outstanding basketball is being played right here in the State of Missouri.  Northwest Missouri State is an NAIA Division II program; the Bearcats are 18-0 as of January 25.  

The school is located in Maryville about 100 miles north of Kansas City.  Not only basketball but football too, the school finished the 2016 season with a perfect 15-0 record winning the Division II Championship for the second consecutive year.  The basketball season is not complete however it’s likely few NCAA Division I or II programs have ever had success on the field and court in the same year as Northwest Missouri State. 

I’m confused
The mock draft sites are not checked daily by yours truly.  Early on most indicated the Lakers had no 2017 first round pick.  I just checked this morning and they now indicate the Lakers have a first round pick, I’m confused but I’ll go with it.  Based on the Lakers record they should draft somewhere between one and five---who do they choose?  

I stated last Monday I’m unsure of D’Angelo Russell at the point.  Should any of these players leave early would the Lakers consider Markelle Fultz of Washington, Lonzo Ball of UCLA or some other point guard?  How about shooting guard Josh Jackson of Kansas or Kentucky’s Malik Monk?  At this point in time I cannot see the Lakers drafting a small or power forward, if the Lakers believe Ivica Zubac is the future they will not draft a center either.  

Who’s number one?
Maybe the better question who wants to be number one?  Number one Villanova and number two Kansas both lost on the same night.  Baring a loss does undefeated and number three Gonzaga move into the top spot?  Number four Kentucky also was a loser against Tennessee.  Looking at Kansas 18-2, Baylor 18-1 and West Virginia 15-4 perhaps the Big 12 might be the strongest most competitive conference in the nation.  I’ll wait for the balance of the season to determine which is strongest.    

NOTE:  Kansas fans please quit belly aching, listen to yourself considering the teams excellent record.  I read a letter of complaint from Lawrence (KS) after the game and the writer asked the question; “How come Kansas had more fouls than WVU a pressing team?”  I checked the box score the difference was four, 22 fouls called on Kansas 18 on WVU.  Perhaps that’s karma for the quite evident walking violation at Allen Fieldhouse allowing Kansas to win the game against Kansas State.