Monday, March 13, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective 

Agree to disagree
One of those point-counter point discussions never resolved.  I hadn’t seen this friend since Kim Anderson was fired at Mizzou.  Her take; ‘It was not a good decision to leave the Big 12 for the SEC.  The program has suffered since the move; I couldn’t argue against the move however I could point out a fact I believe.  Although Kansas wins the Big 12 year after year the conference in my view is much stronger than the SEC.  

I said; ‘Kentucky, Florida and Tennessee that’s about it.’  I then moved my chair preparing for lighting to strike with me defending the Big 12 over another conference.  I pointed out; ‘The Mizzou move was a football one which is the rule the majority of times teams change conferences.’  I further stated; ‘As much as Kansas rules the Big 12 in basketball there is no other conference desiring to add them---why?  They have one of the poorest football programs in the nation, sorry Kansas fans I must call it as I see it.  

Disappointment
Maybe you had a different childhood than mine.  I saved my allowance for a thing, when the thing was received I was disappointed.  The thing was okay it just wasn’t as good as advertised or I believed.  Warriors Coach Steve Kerr “rested” regulars in their game against the Spurs.  Kerr was only following a policy established by one of his former coaches Greg Popovich.  

Spike Lee, Jack Nicholson and others can afford to pay astronomical prices for their tickets, they pay regardless of who is on the floor.  The NBA season is long and it is understandable why a coach would desire to rest his players.  You think Wilt Chamberlain would have sat down without an injury?  How about a player closer to this era in Magic Johnson, Larry Bird or Michael Jordan?  If a working class person guy pays $70 or $80 dollars for a ticket he expects Steph Curry to play, you think he’s going to be pleased?  

Trouble with a capital T 
I was listening to the debate on the Pelicans Boogie Cousins and the maturity factor.  Allow me to state it’s never too late to change, it could be the coach it could be the area or the player simply grows up.  The Grizzlies Zach Randolph is on the down hill side of his career, for the most part I believe there have been few troubling issues in Memphis.  Did you forget he spent his first 6 years with the Blazers who drafted him; he spent one season with the Knicks and then the Clippers.  The last eight seasons have been in Memphis.  Why did he bounce around, character issues.  

Latrell Sprewell while a member of the Warriors physically attacked his coach.   He got into a confrontation with his coach during practice physically attacked him and returned 20 minutes later and threw a punch at him, the NBA suspended him for 1-year.  Years later Sprewell would lead the Knicks into the playoffs.  

Robert Horry owner of numerous championship rings once throw a towel in the face of head coach Danny Ainge while the two were in Phoenix, the Suns traded Horry almost immediately to the Lakers.  I remember “Big Shot Rob” scoring vital 3-point baskets for the Lakers and later for the Spurs.  There are other players who began their NBA with maturity issues, they eventually changed Boogie could be one of them.  Kings broadcaster Grant Napier claims the Kings had to trade Boogie without going into a great deal of detail. Were there other issues the public might not have been aware?  

Bits n Pieces
For the last several years the term “Tanking” has encircled the Sixers.  Losing on purpose in order to improve the teams’ draft position.  I’m hearing that ugly word now that Magic Johnson has taken over the Lakers.  Lou Williams should win Sixth Man of the Year; he will receive the award in Houston rather than Los Angeles where he actually led the way.  The Lakers could possibly lose the top three pick if _________.  

2024 is the year the Clippers lease expires at Staples Center.  Owner Steve Ballmer has expressed his displeasure with the leasing arrangement at Staples.   The owner indicates his Clippers rank behind the Lakers, Kings and entertainment events in scheduling events. Englewood is the location for a Rams/Chargers development and the Clippers are exploring the adjacent land area.  Stay tuned for further developments on this story.  

In a discussion of valued NBA franchises it always includes the Knicks, Lakers and Celtics.  At one time the Sixers were likely included in the discussion however I’m unsure if that holds true lately.  I believe the Bulls belong in the discussion of a valued NBA franchises as well, just my thought.

I’m watching the game and the announcer says Louie-ville scores.  The hair on the back of my neck stands up, that’s not the correct pronunciation I say to myself.  Well let’s just say most of the country has no clue, we discussed this issue last season.  Most of the residents (not the university) pronounce it 
Loo a-ville.