Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective 

Foresight
I wish I’d been in a position to copyright a word or phrase.  As an example I’m unsure of the time frame ’March Madness’ came into common usage.  We hear it used over and over every year in March.  There are others after the Lakers won their third championship in a row Coach Pat Riley had the term ’3-peat’ copyrighted.  More recently Pelican forward Anthony Davis did the same with the word ’Uni-brow.’  

I’m unsure of the legal ramifications however I believe it’s not necessary to originate the word or terminology just the first to copyright it.  As an example it’s my understanding Anthony Davis wasn’t the first one to use ‘Uni-brow’ however his legal team took out a copyright on it.  It’s too late to copyright ‘slam dunk’, ‘charity stripe’ or some other term connected with basketball we’ve likely heard most of our lives.  

The Starters
If you are able to view NBA TV they have a program titled The Starters.  A bunch of ordinary guys who love the game but have not been active previously in media circles as far as I know.  Thanks to social network I have my own group, somebody poses a question and responses come pouring in.  I asked the question, “The Celtics have Isaiah Thomas at the point, they have a two three pick which could become Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz” 

I asked the question if you are Danny Ainge who do your draft or maybe you trade the pick. One of The Starters went another direction instead choosing Jayson Tatum of Duke.  Most were divided between Ball and Fultz but even more interesting was the thought of another.  Rob said “Play Thomas like the Sixers did with A.I. he becomes the shooting guard and you draft Ball.”  Another believed Thomas not a true point guard requires a facilitator to the Celtics.  

My favorite
Who do I favor for Mizzou’s next coach?  I mentioned several names the other day I believe might be on a potential list.  My concern they must hire a coach who already has established credentials they cannot be a work in progress.  As I indicated no up and coming assistant coach need apply this coach could hire him to eventually take over the program.  I’m going to omit Lorenzo Romar of Washington, he can recruit but his won-loss record concerns me.  

Its likely SMU holds on to Tim Jankovic with both hands so he remains in Dallas.  Gregg Marshall turns out winning teams at Wichita State every season why does he need a school requiring rebuilding?  Tom Crean made some noise about remaining at Indiana but that might be a smoke screen. Cuonzo Martin made a similar statement Cal.  These two along with Steve Lavin, Seth Greenberg and Brad Underwood.  I don’t have a favorite I believe any one on the list would be a good hire.

They were ballers first
I thought this was worth a re-visit for those who might have missed it the first time.  A number of persons in the entertainment industry first distinguished themselves on the basketball court. George Clooney, Tom Selleck, and Brad Pitt just to name a few played basketball at the high school level.  A number were good enough to play at the collegiate level although entertainment in its various forms became their life’s work.  Bob Barker the long-time television host of ‘The Price is Right‘ attended Drury University in Springfield (MO) on a basketball scholarship. 

Denzel Washington distinguished himself on the basketball court at Fordham but would acquire a degree in Drama and Journalism.  The late Michael Clarke Duncan stood 6-5; he played at an Illinois Community College and one year at Alcorn State.  Jim Caviezel has starred in a number of movies however his first starring role was on the basketball court.  He played at Bellevue College near Seattle (WA); an injury would end his NBA dreams.  We can add the name Mahershala Ali who played at St. Mary’s; an Oscar in 2017 for his role in ‘Moonlight.’ ESPN’s Jay Bilas was a basketball player at Duke but would distinguish himself in a low-budget 1990 Sci-Fi movie titled ‘I Come in Peace‘.