Friday, January 12, 2018

Basketball from a fans perspective


He passed the magic number
The Warriors lost the game 125-106 to the Clippers thanks in part to the incredible game of Lou Williams.  Williams scored 50 points but wasn’t just chucking up shots, he managed to shoot .593 from the floor.  On an ordinary evening this accomplishment might be the focus, this night it was clearly Kevin Durant.  The Warrior forward scored 40 points including point number 20,000 in the NBA, Durant joins a select group of players led by Kareem Abdul Jabbar with over 38,000 points.  Durant becomes the second fastest player at age 29 to accomplish this feat, congratulations Kevin.   

The Celtics and Sixers in London? 
The teams played a regular season game in London on Thursday.  The NBA has played a number of games in England over the years but they were all exhibtion games, I believe this to be the first regular season game.  According to Real GM Great Britain has sent 11 players into the NBA which is far more than I first believed. Final Score Celtics 114 Sixers 103.  

“The Gang that couldn’t shoot straight”
It was a book and then a 1971 movie, “The Gang that couldn’t shoot straight” told a story of organized crime.  The shooting from Georgia and Mizzou was certainly criminal in the first half of their Wednesday night game at Mizzou Arena.  Mizzou managed to raise their field goal shooting to 41% as they shot much better in the second half, Georgia held a 23-20 lead at the half. 

Whatever Coach Cuonzo Martin verbalized at half-time worked, the Tigers doubled their scoring in the second half registering 48 points leading to a 68-56 victory.  Good old balanced scoring led the way for the Tigers.  Jontay Porter and Kassius Robertson each scored 15 points, Jeremiah Tilmon and Jordan Geist scored 10 each while Kevin Puryear had 9.  Winning ugly is better than not winning at all, the game played last season would have resulted in a loss.     

I’ll answer the question ahead of time, no I’m not tossing them in the trash.  I paid too much money to destroy them in that manner.  I’m referring to my Andrew Bynum #17 and Steve Nash #10 jerseys, as I’ve mentioned previously all the jerseys I displayed are retired Laker players including Kobe Bryant.  Shaq was traded yet his jersey hangs in the rafters at Staples Center but for Bynum and Nash

I’ve hesitated to display them, Steve Nash will soon be enshrined in the Naismith Hall of Fame yet had an ordinary three years as a Laker.  Bynum too was traded but unlike Shaq will never ever see 17 retired.  With all the potential in the world Bynum decided one day he no longer wanted to play in the NBA.  One constant All-Star and one guy who just didn’t seem to care. 

I had to be careful I was driving
Sports talk radio locally is in the dumps, much of the discussions consist of Chiefs, Royals and Kansas basketball.  Other NFL and MLB teams are inter-mixed in the conversation at times.  I turned my automobile radio to one of the two stations on the road home, the host was holding a conversation discussing the Mizzou Tigers.  I almost drove off the road, the subject changed from the usual Chiefs/Royals and Kansas basketball, unbelievable.  The host made a statement which I agree with and one I am unable to get few in the area to come to an agreement.  He said, “I believe for years the Big 12 was overrated and the SEC underrated.  Every season SEC teams play longer into the NCAA Tournament than Big 12 teams.”