Monday, January 1, 2018

Basketball from a fans perspective


He’s likely headed for the NBA
We believe we know the names Commissioner Adam Silver will announce to the television audience and fans at Barclays Center in June.  They roll off our tongues easily, DeAndre Ayton from Arizona, Duke’s Marvin Bagley and international player Luka Doncic.  There are others to consider, we have Michael Porter Jr. at Mizzou and Mohammed Bamba at Texas and Trae Young, Trae Young?

Young might not be a name expected at the beginning of the collegiate season but has demonstrated his capability early for the Oklahoma Sooners.  He’s a smallish player at 6-2 and 180 pounds, the others mentioned play the center and forward position.  Young is a point guard who can shoot lights out, a number are comparing him to Steph Curry of the Warriors.  I’m not ready to go there yet however he certainly appears to be a budding talent.   

Is it true?
This past Saturday witnessed number 12 Oklahoma slipping past number 10 TCU 90-89.  I posed the question a week or so ago, will Big 12 teams beat each other up during the conference race?   West Virginia (7), Kansas (11), Baylor (18) and Texas Tech (22) are the remainder of Big 12 teams and their Top 25 ranking.  We must see how the race turns out, but this type of action might conclude with Kansas winning the conference title yet again.   

NBA Black-out policy
The issue I raised the other day about NBA telecasts in my zip code.  I checked NBA.com and remain unable to provide you or me a satisfactory explanation.  For now, consider the matter closed, I did discover an interesting detail which I’m sharing.  The last time I subscribed to NBA League Pass all the games were included in the package.  All that’s changed now if you desire to only see one teams games you can do so excluding black-out rules.  The fee for only one team is considerably smaller than the 30-team package.  Next season I just might decide to subscribe to a Laker game package. 

They drop from the ranks of undefeated teams    
It’s just turned 2018 and we have not a single undefeated college team remaining.  Three teams all lost their games on December 30, Oklahoma upset TCU 90-89 thus the Horned Frogs lose their first game.  Butler beat Villanova 101-93 while late night saw Arizona State lose to in-state rival Arizona.  There you have it no more undefeated teams remain in Division I college basketball.  As for Division II there remain 8 teams without a blemish on their record. 

What I don’t like
I borrowed the headline from ESPN.com’s NBA page, I could only find three things I don’t like about living in Kansas City.  The first, we have no beach unless we count the one at Longview Lake.  It’s certainly convenient it’s about 9 miles from my front door, as for Venice Beach California it’s 1,643 road miles from my house.  The second obstacle is evident to most NBA fans here, there is none except for the one annual exhibition game we are provided.  As much as I love the game I refuse to pay regular season prices for an exhibition game, if we ever acquire our own team again that becomes a different story. 

The last is media coverage of the NBA which is non-existent here.  Sports news at 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. has been reduced significantly that’s understandable.  I don’t appreciate the lack of sports radio coverage; example Kevin Harlan has broadcast NBA games on Turner Network Television since 1997.  Harlan wasn’t born in the metro but makes his home here, one of the local guys telephones him at this time of the year and into the spring.  All this local guy wants to do is discuss the Chiefs and the NFL, I realize Harlan broadcasts the NFL but why a 10-minute phone call every time discussing the NFL?