Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Basketball from a fans perspective


R.I.P.
Check the Sunday edition of Words eye view, I wrote an account on former Celtic great Jo Jo White.  On Tuesday evening came word 71-year old White had died of cancer.  Another basketball legend has left our midst, R.I.P. Jo Jo White.  

Didn’t see the game
I didn’t see the game between the Rockets and Clippers, I’m dependent on news reports which indicate the Rockets Trevor Ariza, James Harden and Gerald Green went to the Clippers locker room to confront Austin Rivers after the game, more interesting Doc’s son was on the bench in a walking boot unable to play.  The report indicated young Rivers was on the bench badgering Rocket players.  I’m not a proponent of violence however this incident provides me evidence Austin Rivers is not a very well-liked player. 

I remember reading a scouting report on Rivers shortly before the 2012 draft.  The account indicated Rivers had talent but gave the impression he was Kobe Bryant without any credentials.  I’ve read from more than one source young Rivers is arrogant and believes he’s superior to teammates.  Doc Rivers can deny it until 2050 but I think he and Austin were the reason Chris Paul requested a trade.  The NBA will investigate the altercation, if reports are correct and no punches were thrown I could see fines, suspensions would be questionable. 

The bridge
I once wrote an account I referred to Elgin Baylor as the “Bridge between the Minneapolis and Los Angeles Lakers.”  The 83-year old Baylor was drafted in 1958 while the team was still in Minneapolis, he would be named NBA Rookie of the Year in 1959.  Baylor played one more season in Minneapolis before moving west with the team in 1960.  He introduced NBA basketball to Los Angeles with his outstanding play especially rebounding the basketball as a 6-foot 5-inch small forward. 

Baylor was always among the leaders in rebounds and excelled above many taller players.  The balance of his career is NBA history however I’d like to point out somewhere between the Chamberlain-West, Showtime Lakers and the Shaq-Kobe brand Baylor became the forgotten Laker.  Once retired Baylor went to work for the Clippers as their GM and remained in that position for a number of years.  All that aside the Naismith and College Basketball Hall of Fame honoree will have a statue erected in his honor outside Staples in April.  Well deserved and long overdue for this basketball pioneer. 

It’s interesting 
At some point in November or early December I wrote; “I wonder if the strength of Big 12 teams will result in them knocking each other off allowing Kansas to win another championship.”  I can offer no further proof than Big Monday on ESPN, Kansas faced a Press Virginia team ranked number six in the nation.  The West Virginia press would force Kansas into turnovers or bad shots in the first half.

Sagaba Konate of West Virginia had five blocked shots during this period.   They gave Kansas all they could handle but only for half of the game.  The Jayhawks came roaring back in the second half of the game winning 71-66 at Morgantown.  I can’t provide you any detail of the second half, I changed to the NBA game featuring the Warriors at the Cavs.  I figured with a 41-28 lead the game appeared secure for West Virginia, next time I might need to remain to the conclusion.