Monday, December 4, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective   

Bits n Pieces  

I believe we understand the desire for NBA teams to acquire additional revenue from varied sources.  The announcement of commercial logos on NBA jerseys was met with skepticism by me and others maybe.  I believe many of us might have focused on the logos worn by WNBA and Euro teams which in several cases are quite large hindering the team name.  I’m unsure which party had the final call Nike or the NBA however I like them.  The logo being placed on the upper left arm side is visible without being intrusive.   

Did you feel the shock, yes, it’s me defending the actions of the Rivers family once again?  According to reports in a recent game Austin confronted a fan being abusive toward a teammate.  Rivers went up to the fan and yelled an obscenity toward the person.  He later apologized however the NBA fined him $25,000 for his outburst.  The amount of the fine is not the question, do fans have the right to direct insults or profanities at NBA players without suffering any consequences for their action?  It’s my belief in no other sport do fans sit as close to the action as basketball. 

Below you will read another account of Michael Porter Jr. as it relates to the NBA.  This is the Mizzou portion, I was lamenting the loss of Michael Porter Jr. and Dwayne provided me a positive.  He said; “This injury could turn out to be a blessing in disguise, instead of Mizzou being a one-man team they will be forced to play TEAM basketball.  So far, he’s been correct, the two losses thus far could have been wins with MPJr in the lineup however they could have been losses too.

He didn’t drop very far
NBA mock draft sites are just that, NBA teams don’t own them however they provide a degree of information.  I’ve mentioned one in particular is accurate 1-10 not the order necessarily but the players chosen.  I was anxious to determine where Michael Porter Jr. stood regarding the 2018 draft.  Practically everyone I read had the Mizzou forward listed as the top prospect prior to his injury and resulting surgery, where does Porter Jr. rank now post-surgery? 

Several sites were too old to reflect his status but those I found proved quite interesting.  I uncovered six mock draft sites and Porter Jr. was listed anywhere from 3rd through 6.  With the NBA’s graduated pay scale, the number one pick will receive the largest payday however the bright side of this picture.  They believe Porter Jr. can return to pre-injury status in addition if he maintains this position not falling out of the lottery will command a significantly large payday than further down the line. 

War of words
I’m not sure who started the “word war” however Piston center Andrew Drummond and the Sixers Joel Embiid are engaging in one.  Drummond said; “Joel Embiid can talk when he’s played a full season.”  Did you hear the mic drop on the floor?  

Trick question
No argument from me I know who is the better rookie to date, I was asked this question by a Celtics fan. “Who’s the better rookie Jayson Tatum or Lonzo Ball?  A person or persons who don’t follow the NBA might not have an answer.  It’s likely the astronauts on the International Space Station probably don’t know either.  As for the rest of us it becomes a trick question,  this Celtic fan attempting to convince this Laker fan my guy is better than yours.  My response should have been “My dad can beat up your dad."