Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective


Christmas day and evening games
What’s your assessment of the Christmas games?   I’m not going to lie and tell you I saw all five games from start to finish…. I did see most of all the games.  In my estimation there was a tie between Sixers-Knicks and Warriors-Cavs as  the best games.  

Trivia
Several Yankee teammates are in the baseball hall of fame, same for the NFL with the Steelers and maybe the 49ers.  There is a trivia question which I believe might be the only time this has occurred.  Two high school basketball teammates are enshrined in the Naismith Hall of Fame.  I’ve checked, and there might be another combo, but I believe these are the only two in history.  If you’ve read Words eye view any length of time the two have been mentioned in the past.  One more hint: The two played in the in the NBA in the '60's.  The answer in tomorrow's Words eye view.     

Sometimes stuff is plain funny (other times its not)
In the Lakers win over the Rockets last week Kyle Kuzma was blazing hot almost as hot as the sun.  He was 12-17 from the floor (.706) and 3-6 (.500) from the 3-point line.  Kuzma scored 38 points leading the way as the Lakers ended the Rockets 14-game winning streak.  He said afterwards: “It was my hottest game since 5th or 6th grade.” 

This occurred last season on a SportsCenter segment, the reporter provided us the Wichita State score and then said with a smile on his face “I didn’t know Wichita had a state.” Evidently the dummy thought his comment must have been humorous.  I guess he failed to realize there’s a Ball State, Cheney State, Adams State and Albany State just to name a few.  

I omitted this one a few weeks back when discussing basketball characters, that was the late Charles Shackelford.  Shackelford playing for North Carolina State at the time once told a reporter: “I can shoot with my left hand, I can shoot with my right hand I’m amphibious.”

Michael Beasley and I share the same birthday although not the same year, January 9.  Beasley off the Knicks bench has exhibited blistering scoring recently.  Asked about his hot streak he responded: “I’ve been hot since January 9, 1989.”  That was the date Beasley was born which provides us an indication of his offensive prowess.  I’d mentioned this previously maturity and no other aspects of the game have impacted his NBA career thus far. 

Is he guilty?
Last year near this time-period Brian Bowen was sitting on top of the world.  Already a 5-star recruit in the Class of 2017 he would soon be named a McDonald’s All American.  Yes, the 6-7 forward was likely headed to the NBA after his freshman year at Louisville.  Then his entire world fell apart, the justice department/FBI investigation named his family in it’s investigation.  The report indicated an Adidas representative promised the family $100,000 if Bowen signed with Louisville. 

An initial payment of $19,500 was received by Brian Bowen Sr.  The scholarship was revoked at Louisville so on December 24 he remains out of school yet has done nothing wrong.  Bowen indicates he still wants to play college ball rather than the G-League or Europe however the later choices are probably his only remaining options at this point.  On the surface it appears the younger Bowen has done nothing wrong yet is punished just the same.