Monday, December 11, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective         


I don’t care…..
Who you are matched against, anytime you score 100 points in a college game it’s significant.  As for Mizzou fans we are starved for success on the basketball court based on the last the last three seasons.  The final score read Mizzou 100 Green Bay 77 as a late shot pulled Mizzou past the century mark.  As for the team junior guard Jordan Geist led the way with 28 points off the bench.  Jeremiah Tllmon Jr. had a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds, the 6-11 Tilmon is managing his foul tendencies much better. 

This was team effort by Mizzou and there were others who played key roles in the victory, forwards Jordan Barnett and Jontay Porter both scored in double figures.  Kevin Puryear’s game was under the radar he scored but 4 points and fouled out it was his defense that was evident in the game.  My friend Dwayne said it earlier perhaps the injury to Michael Porter Jr. might be a blessing in disguise Mizzou will be forced to play team basketball.  SEC play remains in front of Mizzou, but this team looks totally different from those of the recent past including some of the Frank Haith teams. 

The west side of State Line Road
A conflict kept me from viewing the Arizona State-Kansas game therefore I am unable to provide any first-hand account of the game.  I can however provide a brief history of the coach and the school’s past program.  The University of Arizona receives a great deal of the media attention much of it based on past success.  Arizona State has been up and down in the win column for several seasons with a number of post-season appearances in the NIT and NCAA Tournament.   After first tasting success as head coach at Buffalo University former Duke point guard Bobby Hurley was hired in 2015, now in his third year this might be truly "his" team.  
  
Hurley in year three appears to have turned the program around with this huge win over Kansas.  The Sun Devils managed to beat the Kansas Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse, Arizona State remains undefeated with a 9-0 record.  I made a comment earlier about the surprising fact Arizona State (now 9-0) was one of the undefeated teams remaining.  For the first time in like forever Mizzou is 8 up and 2 down Kansas has 7 wins and 2 losses.  After beating Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse, we know why now. 

Bits n Pieces
I don’t believe there is a coach anyplace more intense than South Carolina’s Frank Martin I remember when he first took over the Kansas State program I told someone; “His head’s gonna explode.”  He’s a guy who began his coaching career as an assistant high school coach.  Yes, he began at Miami High School in 1985.  He’s become quite a capable coach and a winner. 

I’ve got some time allow me to say it again, Lonzo Ball will become a player.  Will Ball make Laker fans forget Magic Johnson at the point…. well that’s quite a stretch however.  Eventually he’s going to tell his daddy in a subtle way to just shut up. 

Isn’t it interesting the Spurs Manu Ginobili is generally credited with introducing the Euro Step to the NBA.   Thought-provoking in that Ginobili is not from Europe, for those who might be unfamiliar with his bio he’s really from Argentina.  Ginobili played in Europe, from 1998-2002 for two different Italian teams. 

Skee-Lo a one-hit wonder scored with a rap tune in 1995 titled “I Wish.”  I’m unsure of the height of the artist however the accompanying video has him on the basketball court suffering all sorts of indignities.  The first line; “I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller:” Those of us not tall enough or good enough this pop tune might become our theme song, I know it became mind while I played.