Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective   Muzzled him

For fear of going back on my word once again I refuse to say it.  I’ve lost count the number of occasions I stated I’d write not another sentence about LaVar Bar.  Time and time again I’ve retreated from my objective.  Well I might not be able to stop but the Lakers have hade enough.  I’m sure we’ll continue to hear him critique his son, Luke Walton’s coaching and everything connected with the Lakers and the NBA. 

There is a change the rants will no longer come from Staples Center, he’s not been banned from the building just the ability to hold court after games.  Laker management in this instance is better than yours truly.  NOTE:  As this story was drawing to completion several news sources announced LaVar Ball had withdrawn son LiAngelo from UCLA.  I didn’t bother with reading the fathers explanation for this latest move only read the headlines. 

There were stories
Thanks Frank for providing inspiration to research Marvin “Bad New” Barnes.  The late Marvin Barnes could be categorized as a talented player who could have been so much better.  He battled Dr. J. to a standstill while both were in the ABA.  One report I read indicated Barnes was a lock for the Naismith Hall of Fame unfortunately the street life was more appealing to him than the basketball court. 

You name the criminal activity he was probably a part of it or might have been charged with it.  At 6-8 210 pounds Barnes possessed the physical tools to play at an elevated level.  Unfortunately, life decisions eventually led him to a shorten pro career.  Drafted by the Sixers in 1974 Barnes chose the ABA Spirits of St. Louis and that’s where the journey began, there were enough stories to fill a book below are just three.    

“There’s the one about the Spirits getting set to depart on a flight from Louisville at 8 a.m. that would get into St. Louis at 7:56. After one look at his ticket, Barnes exclaimed “I ain’t getting on no time machine,” and promptly rented a car for the trip.”

“Once Barnes missed a flight to Virginia after too much party time in New York, he chartered a plane and arrived in the arena in time for the game.  He walked in wearing a mink coat his jersey beneath the coat.  The coach benched him for the first quarter however he would score 43 points and grabbed 19 rebounds.    

“I’m a basketball player not a monk, I play the women, I play the clothes, I play the cars, I play everything I can play.  There’s players and playees.  The playees are the ones who get played by the players.  I am a player.” 

Washington Post Sept 10, 2014

There’s something about an old building
I was checking on the construction progress of the Bucks new arena.  A question popped up in my mind “wonder what’s happening with their former home Bradley Center Arena.  First, I didn’t realize the building was next door to the planned new arena.  Second, I didn’t realize it would be demolished once the new arena is completed.  The arena was opened in 1988 so its 29 years old and will see the wrecking ball.  I thought for a moment the numbers of arenas in use for older than the Bradley Center, there are a number.  In Kansas City we have Municipal Auditorium home of the UMKC Kangaroos, opened in 1935 over the decades the building has held numerous NCAA Tournament Championship Tournaments. 

On the Kansas side about 50 miles away is Allen Fieldhouse home of the Kansas Jayhawks, how about sitting in an arena Wilt Chamberlain or Clyde Lovellette first exhibited their basketball skill in college.  In Indianapolis we could check in at Hinkle Fieldhouse home of the Butler Bulldogs.  Hinkle opened its doors in 1928.  Further east is the Palestra in Philadelphia home at one time or another to all Division I programs in and around the city.  There’s nothing wrong with new however there’s something to say for these old arenas and the specter of players who once faced one another.  Of course, all the arenas have been refurbished over the years to modernize them  

Save Ferris Jahlil
In the 1986 movie classic Ferris Buller's Day Off Matthew Broderick's Ferris Bueller was skipping school.  Jahlil Okafor is skipping Sixer games but unlike the movie character its likely he'd rather be playing.  The emergence of Joel Embiid has moved Okafor from a starter to a permanent seat on the bench.  Sixer president and GM Bryan Colangelo claims he's trying to trade Okafor.  Coach Brown says he want place Okafor on the floor during garbage time.  

So there you have it the Sixers have yet to trade Okafor and at the same time refuse to play him.  I realize he might have some short comings but to sit the number three pick in the 2015 draft doesn't make a great deal of sense.  I'm sure Colangelo wants to maximize the return compensation but he might as sign off on this one.  Look for help in an area the team needs and make the trade with your fingers crossed.