Thursday, December 28, 2017

Basketball from a fans perspective


I had no response
I’ve mentioned on several occasions in the past my wife is a casual NBA fan, she hardly knows any of today’s NBA players except maybe LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal and Dwayne Wade.  She probably only knows Wade due to the fact he’s married to actress Gabrielle Union, she is acquitted with the Ball family thanks to yours truly.  I informed her Lonzo had purchased a $300,000 Rolls-Royce as a Christmas gift to his parents.  My wife said: “Did they ask for it?”  I had no further comment because I didn’t have an answer to her question and its clear to me my wife was unimpressed. 

Integrity
I’ve mentioned this at least once last season and it’s worth mentioning again with another incident.  The Christmas day game between the Warriors and Cavs contained errors.  The NBA office in its “Last Two Minute” report indicated game officials missed three fouls on Durant and one by LeBron as they guarded one another.  Game officials have missed calls since the beginning of time is there a purpose in later admitting an error was made? 

Trivia
Tick, tick, tick the clock is ticking, do you have the answer?  Remember I stated both have been mentioned in past basketball stories.  The answer is Nate Thurmond and Gus Johnson and I’ll provide a brief bio.   Gus Johnson was born in Akron Ohio in 1938 three years later Nate Thurmond was born also from Akron.    The 6-11 Thurmond and 6-6 power forward Johnson were teammates at Central High School in the city.  After outstanding NBA careers Thurmond would be enshrined in the Naismith and College Basketball Hall of Fame and Johnson in the Naismith Hall.    

Johnson was nicknamed “Honeycomb” by his college coach due to his sweet play.  Kareem Abdul Jabbar claimed of all the opposing centers he faced Thurmond played him toughest.  Johnson would die in 1987 at age of 48 from brain cancer, Thurmond passed away at age 74 in 2016 from leukemia.  I researched this duo, as far as I could determine this is the only instance of two high school teammates in the HOF.  As I indicated there are baseball and football teammates enshrined in the NFL Hall in Canton and Cooperstown for baseball however they became teammates in college or in the professional ranks.   

Six months from now 
It’s not June, we have plenty of time to decide who becomes the top pick in the 2018 NBA draft.  DraftXpress is asking should Luka Doncic be that pick, their contention the Slovenia’s is a pro currently versus a Bagley or Ayton who still retain amateur status.  If Doncic does indeed become the top choice it will not be the first time an international play has been the top pick.  I researched NBA draft history and you probably knew this, but I wanted to remind you. 

In 2002 Yao Ming was made the first choice in the draft by the Rockets, in 2005 Andrew Bogut became the pick that year by the Bucks.  The following year in 2006 Andrea Bargnani was the choice of the Raptors.  Several players had parents who were born elsewhere although their off-spring were born here.  In addition, I didn’t list any Canadian players (Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett).  So, as you can see if Doncic is made the top pick in June he wouldn’t be the first foreign born player.