Saturday, February 24, 2018



That was the line uttered twice by the Ulysses Everett McGill character portrayed by George Clooney in the 2000 movie “O Brother, Where Art Thou.”  Fans of college basketball believe the same thing, damn were in a tight spot.  The basketball programs, the Hall of Fame coaches and other connections to the game have been smeared once again.  We are reading players receiving money from an agent, not just one but several names have been reported. 

Unlike previous scandals this was not point shaving it was receiving loans into the thousands of dollars.  As this was being written we read Lonzo Ball said NCAA players should be paid, there’s an issue I see the pros and cons of the argument.  College basketball has endured scandals in the past it will survive this one too.  This investigation is not yet complete, hopefully the NCAA and other organizations will work together and attempt to close the door on these types of incidents. 

This is a correction
Several people believe the Koch brothers are the most important citizens of Wichita.  They might have the most money but the honor I speak of belongs to Coach Gregg Marshall.   Marshall’s been the coach at the central Kansas school since 2007, he first served as an assistant at several schools before his first head coaching job.  Marshall was hired at Winthrop (SC) in 1998 and led the school to a 198-83 record before his hire at Wichita State.  There were 11 wins and then 17 wins in his first two years, since then it’s been all uphill for Marshall and the Wichita State Shockers. 

His 2013-14 team almost completed a perfect season, 18-0 in the Mo Valley and 35-1.  I irate many my friends by stating Wichita State has often been the best Division I team in the State of Kansas.  After a history in the Mo Valley Conference Wichita State is in its first year in the American Athletic Conference.  A few schools might come calling again after the season, Marshall will mull them over as usual.  He might leave Wichita State one day, but don't hold your breath.   

Clippers arena
You might believe the headline is a reference to Staples Center however that is not the case.  I don’t remember the date at some point Clippers owner Steve Ballmer indicated he wanted “his own arena.”  A story I read indicated management was upset with the schedule arrangements.  According to an article the Lakers had priority on dates then the Kings other venues and finally the Clippers. 

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information it represents my reading.  The City of Inglewood was mentioned as a possible destination and then talk became baby steps, a practice facility and an 18,000-seat arena were the keys to the development.  Inglewood has begun an environmental review process, so it appears the proposed development is picking up speed.  

Laker for life   
If you read my bio you will discover I’ve been a Laker fan all my life.  I have maintained my loyalty through favorite Laker players traded and the downturn after the death of Dr. Buss.  I was not pleased with developments but held my tongue from the coaching revolving door.  The choice of Mike Brown, Mike D’Antoni as head coach can only be termed a failure.  Phil Jackson sitting by the phone waiting on a phone call from Jim Buss and he hires somebody else. 

Overpaying veterans Luol Deng and Timofey Mozgov and some other strange moves by the front office.  The team appears to be upward bound with a nucleus of youthful talent.  Word is circulating once again involving LeBron James and him becoming a Laker next season.  I have maintained my allegiance through a series of player and front office moves, this one will be the last.  I DON’T WANT LeBron James on my Laker team, I said it and I ain't afraid to stand by it.