Thursday, February 8, 2018



Lakers & Mizzou
This morning I listened to one of the local sports talk guys I like.  He knows basketball much better than any others in my opinion.  He was discussing Mizzou and several of the negatives things he saw.  I thought for a moment I can’t glance over problems with Mizzou or the Lakers.  Sometimes I might not pick up on a topic when it’s still pending i.e. Mizzou guard Terrance Phillips. 

I could provide you my opinion but its just that, the school must render the final verdict whether I agree or not.  Same for the Lakers and the problem that is LaVar Ball, he’s been a distraction (which I’ve reported from time to time) I hope my focus has not been misplaced.  I love the Lakers and Mizzou Tigers yet live in the world of reality, I will continue stories I believe impact the team be it positive or negative.  

I’m bias
After reading the above story prepare now as I must go on the offensive toward the local sports talk guy.  This was a portion of Kevin Keitzman’s discussion on Wednesday with former Channel 41 Sports Director Jack Harry.  The conversation was directed toward Mizzou basketball and I’m paraphrasing just a portion of the dialogue. 

Keitzman: “Cuonzo Martin doesn’t look as though he’s having any fun.”

Harry: “Well we can’t be sure he’s not a (John) Calipari.”    

Two issues, first Keitzman is good he’s got psychic abilities that allow him to determine a person’s feelings.  In addition, why is it necessary for the coach to be demonstrative to please people like Keitzman?  At that point I turned the radio off and decided once again this guy is an idiot trying to provoke me....he succeeded.   

The Unicorn
Kristaps Porzingis tore his ACL after a dunk on Tuesday night, basketball.  Knicks for the balance of the season.  What does the future hold for the young man, 10 or more years ago an ACL meant the end of your career whatever the sport.  Medical advancements have allowed most athletes to resume play, its likely with rehabilitation he’ll miss a portion of the 2018-19 NBA season as well.  I’m sure several fans might be looking at potential free-agency for Porzingis, as a fan all I want is for him to return to full status.               
Road Warriors
In the same manner of Mel Gibson, the Mizzou Tigers have become “Road Warriors”.  Last week it was a victory against Arkansas, tonight it was a win against Ole Miss.  Of course, on Saturday they were victorious over Kentucky, tonight it was a 75-69 victory over Ole Miss. 

As usual it was a team victory, Kassius Robertson led the way with 27 points and was ably assisted by Kevin Puryear with 12 points and 6 rebounds.  Jontay Porter off the bench scored 18 points along with 13 rebounds and 5 blocked shots and 4 assists.  Jordan Geist scored 10 points and contributed 6 assists, turnovers were manageable with 11 total.  The team is primed for a good point guard, see why Xavier Pinson might have picked Mizzou over some other programs.   

Cleveland Cavs Cadavers
I didn’t have an opportunity to see the game only the highlights.  The Magic (at home) beat the Cavs….Cadavers 116-98.  Everybody in Northern Ohio (plus a guy in KC) are asking the same question, “What is wrong with this team?”  I heard a local guy today state the Cavs were losers in the trade, the Kyrie for Isaiah exchange of jerseys. 

He said Kyrie really forced the Cavs hand and they had to make a trade.  He went on to state as good an offensive player as Isaiah is he suffers on the defensive end.  Prior to the beginning of the season I wrote of my belief the Wade/Rose/Thomas combination would allow the team to overcome the loss of Kyrie.  There is a smell emanating from Quicken Loans Arena and that is the decaying corpse of another NBA Championship for the Cavs.