Sunday, February 4, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective


MIZ----ZOU!!!!
Saturday might have been the greatest day in Mizzou’s recent basketball history, the Tigers beat the Kentucky Wildcats 69-60.  The game was played in Columbia but that doesn’t matter, the outcome is what was critical.  Mizzou’s stellar defense held Kentucky to 31% shooting from the floor while they managed to shoot 46%.  Forward Jordan Barnett and guard Kassius Robertson led the way both scoring 16 points.  Reserve Jontay Porter scored 13 points along with 8 rebounds and 3 blocked shots one registered near the end of the game.  

Barnett also had a key block near the conclusion of the game, this win was a total team effort.  We’ve heard all season long this is not John Calipari’s usual Kentucky team, maybe not, all I care about is Mizzou won the game.  Even more interesting listening to the local “experts” on Friday, three individuals concluded Mizzou was not a tournament caliber team.  Does Mizzou belong in the Top 25 perhaps not, are they a tournament team I’d say after the Saturday win an emphatic yes.  This week a road win against Arkansas and beating number 21 Kentucky certainly qualifies in my mind of course I’m bias. 

Thanks, but no thanks
I hesitated to write this story, I believe LaVar Ball’s 15 minutes of fame are up.  This hopefully is the last one, remember the league he was going to start?  It was to be comprised of players with no desire to play in college but wanted to play pro immediately.  The Junior Basketball Association or JBA will pay salaries ranging from $3,000-$10,000 a month. 

In any event the league has begun reaching out to Class of 2018 athletes, so far, the league has received one “I don’t know” and one “I’ll consider it.”  Tyler Herro a 6-foot 5-inch shooting guard committed to Kentucky in November 2017.  He was contacted by the league but declined the offer.  This might appear to be a hate LaVar story that is not the intent, if he hopes to start a league that’s reasonable however LaVar must be prepared for a few bumps in the road.   

The whole world has gone mad except me and thee, sometimes I wonder about thee”
My English Composition teacher in high school was the only one on the staff to my knowledge with a Ph.D.  The headline above is a statement he’d often make to his class at a time unusual behavior was exhibited or a strange event might occur.  That is just the case Saturday morning as I write this, yesterday I wrote of the Nuggets fan on the court after the Thunder game. 

ESPN.com’s NBA page repeated the story and then I read the comments of several regarding the incident.  To my amazement, no maybe shock several writers were defending the actions of the fan.  This is just one of a number of similar responses: “Apparently 6 foot 5 basketball players can’t handle a little heckling any more.  High School players put up with more than that but, yeah, cry Russ a river.”  Evidently this writer and several others see nothing wrong with the actions of the fan, let that stew awhile.   

He can play
Blake Griffin had an impressive first game in a Pistons jersey, 24 points 10 rebounds 5 assists and 2 blocked shots.  Griffin shot .500 from the floor and .846 from the free-throw line, fans I never said he couldn’t play.  It’s always been the ability to maintain a continuing presence on the court.  The injury bug has dogged him throughout his brief NBA career.    

I have other favorites   
It was mentioned previously I remain always a Laker fan.  Despite this fact I have at least four other NBA teams I follow, I could refer to them as favorites.  I root for them too except those occasions when they face the Lakers, who are they you ask.  Depends on the day of the week because they change.  I guess it might be players more so than the team, as an example the Heat. 

I like big man Hassan Whiteside for several reasons, he can play, the Kings gave up on the 7-footer, but he didn’t give up on himself.  I like the Wolves and their stars Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins; the Knicks have Kristaps Porzingis plus it’s New York.  The Pelicans have big men Anthony Davis and the injured Boogie Cousins, finally the Bucks with Giannis and Thon Maker.