Monday, February 19, 2018



First it was Kareem Abdul Jabbar and now its Jerry West.  The NBA logo is based on the likeness of West and he claims his sport is going to surpass all others.  I’m not going to go into detail as to why West or Kareem for that matter have taken this stance.  Read BleacherReport February 18 for complete detail.  This is the portion I found interesting. 

Last week Kevin Keitzman 810 Sports Radio in Kansas City took an opposing position, he produced stats which indicate NFL viewership numbers exceed all other sports.  That might be true however NFL television numbers were down in 2017.  The question becomes whose opinion do we value that of Kareem and West or Keitzman? 

Hall of Fame Class
The HOF committee announced its finalists for the Class of  2018, 13 names were announced.  Among the names were Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chris Webber and Maurice Cheeks just to name a few.   Finalist must receive 18 of the 24 possible votes to be enshrined.   

King of speculation
I once boasted “I was the King of speculation!”  That might be correct however this is one time I’m gonna remain on the sidelines.  A “bomb” is about to be dropped on college basketball, at least that’s the opinion of several sports websites.  The investigation that resulted in Rick Pitino being fired is not yet complete.  I'm not going to speculate on the outcome.   

Streaking no more
Work prevented me from seeing the game, LSU won 64-63 so I’m guessing Mizzou might have had an opportunity to win the game at the end.  The box score is no indicator, so I won’t take it any further.  The five-game winning streak is over, it’s now time to prepare for battle with Ole Miss on Tuesday and begin another winning streak.   

The upside
We don’t know the future for the Lakers Isaiah Thomas, but we know what occurs June 21.  The NBA will hold its draft that evening and the Lakers will have a pick.  The Sixers hold the Lakers first round pick from a prior trade, thanks to the Thomas-Frye acquisition they now have the Cavs pick which is number 25.  I certainly cannot speculate in February who the Lakers might choose but I believe they might be able to draft a player who will continue the upward trend of the franchise.   

Lehigh University
I must admit although I was familiar with the name Lehigh I had no idea where the school was located.   It’s about 70 miles north of Philadelphia in Bethlehem Pennsylvania.  Lehigh is listed in a book titled Hidden Ivies, 50 Top Colleges that rival the Ivy League.  The university is a bastion of educational pursuits although they compete in the sports field as a member of the Patriot League. 

Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum was made the 10th pick in the first round of the 2013 NBA draft by the Blazers.  Now in the middle of his 5th year in the association his star continues to rise as a valued member of the Blazers.  I was curious I wondered: “How many players in the NBA are from Lehigh.”  Real GM indicates the number to be one, that one of course is C.J. McCollum hidden gem no more.