Sunday, June 10, 2018


Basketball from a fans perspective

"Unforgiven"  
Veteran director/actor Clint Eastwood played bounty hunter William Munny in this 1992 western.  Kevin Durant played himself in 2017 and 2018 yet remains “unforgiven” in some eyes.  The barbershop owner continues to berate Durant for his decision to leave the Thunder.  He says, “You can’t join a team that just beat you” he was referring to the playoffs.  May 30, 2016 witnessed the Durant Thunder team losing to the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals 4 games to 3.  On July 5, 2016 free-agent Durant announced he intended to sign with the Warriors. 
Durant’s now aided the Warriors in winning two consecutive NBA championships, in addition he’s won two consecutive finals MVP awards.  The barber claims the Thunder came up short against the Warriors due to Durant and not Westbrook.  My memory is fuzzy, I’ve seen far too many games to remember back to 2016.  My only comment to those who agree with the barber I will remind them of Kool Moe Dee.  In 1987 the rapper released “How Ya Like Me Now,” if Durant remained in Oklahoma City he’d be without a championship and now he’s got two. 
North American Premier Basketball 
This new minor league the North American Premier Basketball League began play in January 2018, as indicated early the league currently list 8 members.  They are:
Albany (NY) Patroons
Kansas City Tornados
Kentucky (Owensboro) Thoroughbreds 
Nevada Desert Dogs
Ohio (Westerville) Bootleggers
Rochester (NY) Razorsharks
Vancouver (Richmond, British Columbia) Knights
Yakima (WA) Sun Kings

To be added in 2019:
Bellevue (WA)
Raleigh (NC) Firebirds
Tampa Bay Titans

The Yakima Sun Kings won the first ever championship with a 112-97 win over the Albany Patroons.  As I indicated earlier I attended one game and witnessed two other Kansas City live streamed games.  I cannot speak for the because I saw so few games, I was pleased with the talent and skill of those I did see.  I have no intent to mislead you this is minor league basketball, it will never be on the same skill level of the G-League from my perspective.  My only concern is I hope they don’t go overboard to add teams an example might be the ABA 2000 the attempt to revive the ABA, at first franchises folded while others were added.  They are now at a point there are far too many teams, how many is that you ask?  40 teams spread from coast to coast and ne concern continued growth for the league without adding too many teams.  The revival of the ABA in 1999 now sees that league with more than 40 teams, an unbelievable and in my mind an unworkable number.   
I love his self-assurance
DeAndre Ayton worked out for the Suns and then shut it down, he believes that’s all that’s necessary.  In his press conference he said, “I want say I’m the best player, I’m the best competitor.”  That statement tends to exhibit the youngsters’ confidence in his ability.  If the Suns somehow fail to draft Ayton and choose someone else I’m not sure what to say.  Are there any red-flags in his background, maybe they sure don’t appear evident.  Could he use one more year of competitive basketball, of course no one with any skill level remains in college anymore.  I look forward to June 21 and Commissioner Silver stepping to the mic.  He’s says, “With the 1st pick in the 2018 NBA draft the Phoenix Suns select DeAndre Ayton from the University of Arizona.”  If Ayton is not the Sun’s pick you and I know something. 
Part A 
The season is over and free-agency looms in front for LeBron James, the decision is his alone however I hope he remains in Cleveland.  I believe we all understood the Miami thing, it worked he acquired two championships while a member of the Heat.  In his return to Cleveland he made them a champion something the baseball Indians and NFL Browns have been unable to accomplish.  You ask me why I’m so concerned here’s why, I loved me some Shaquille O’Neal, late in his career I think he tarnished his legacy. 
Moving from Miami to the Suns to the Cavs, was Shaq intent on winning games or just winning another championship ring?  LeBron appears to have a strained relationship with owner Dan Gilbert.  I can’t blame him in a manner of speaking Gilbert was plain nasty (in my opinion) after LeBron headed to Miami.  If LeBron remains in Cleveland, he should be able to fully justify being placed on the pedestal many believe he’s already atop.  Part B will be presented tomorrow.