Sunday, February 24, 2019


BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
Next stop…. Hall of Fame
Dwayne Wade’s already indicated this is his last NBA season, Dirk Nowitzki might as well echo that too.  The mind says I can still play at a high skill level, the body is saying “No you can’t.”  Both Wade and Nowitzki have been NBA champions an accomplishment only a select number of players have accomplished this feat.  Both will be missed by NBA fans especially those in Miami and Dallas.  The headline said, next stop the Hall of Fame enshrinement.  The only question at this point who introduces Wade and who introduces Nowitzki to the Hall of Fame audience?
I’m getting old
Leave it to the barber shop crew to straighten me out from my earlier report. You might remember on Friday I stated I’d never seen a basketball shoe explode in the manner of Duke’s Zion Williamson.  The gathering in the shop reminded me this had occurred much earlier to LeBron James.  Boy, I must be getting old because I didn’t remember this ever happening in the past.  Once home, I began a search on my computer for YouTube video and sure enough I discovered they were correct.  Not only did LeBron have an “exploding” shoe so did Manu Ginobili and Aaron Gordon.  My search concluded after I discovered three other athletes beside Zion who experienced a shoe blow-out.  At this point my search concluded, there might be additional players.    
He brings his lunch pail to work everyday 
Serge Jonas Ibaka Ngobila better known as Serge Ibaka was the 24th pick in the 2008 NBA draft.  It’s likely he’s never seen the city that drafted him, by the time he headed to training camp the Seattle franchise had relocated to Oklahoma City.  Ibaka originally from the Congo in Central Africa arrived in the NBA extremely raw although he’d played professionally in Europe. 
Over the course of his NBA career first with the Thunder the 6-foot 10-inch 235-pound Ibaka demonstrated a constant work ethic.  Television analyst love to talk about athletes who do all the dirty work, rebound the ball, clog the lane setting picks and occasionally score.  It’s often been said “they bring their lunch pail to work.”  The work ethic Ibaka first displayed with the Thunder have proven invaluable to the Raptors as they continue their quest to the top of the NBA mountain.    
Drafted number one
For a brief period, Murray State’s Ja Morant was the top draft pick with one mock.  Since then he’s slid back to number two and in some sites 3 or 4.  With the NBA and its big man belief I wondered how many guards had become the top pick in the NBA draft.  For this purpose, my research is only going to date back to 1990:
1996 Allen Iverson
2008 Derrick Rose
2010 John Wall
2011 Kyrie Irving
2016 Ben Simmons
2017 Markelle Fultz 
In nearly 30 years only 6 guards have been drafted number 1, note Andrew Wiggins (2014) was omitted from the list.  Although drafted as a shooting guard the Wolves play him at small forward.