Friday, February 8, 2019


BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
Read it for yourself
Now and again you come across one of those stories.  A story too confusing and too involved to provide a clear understanding.  That is the case with the Brian Bowen II story, read the account written by Mark Schlabach senior writer for ESPN.  It’s titled “Adidas wants judge to throw out lawsuit by Brian Bowen II.”  
I’m confused
The trading deadline is over, Anthony Davis remains in New Orleans, (see story below) but the Lakers made a second move.  On Thursday before the expiration of the trade deadline they acquired Mike Muscala.  You said Mike WHO, I understand your confusion but I’m in the same boat.  I haven’t seen enough of Muscala to determine his skill level.  This was really a past through move by the Clippers. 
The 6-foot 11-inch Muscala was a “pass-through” acquired from the Clippers on Wednesday moved to the Lakers on Thursday.  The Clippers receive Michael Beasley and Ivica Zubac requiring further clarification.  Beasley was reported to have had a run-in with coach Walton, as for Zubac we must pose the question have the Lakers given up on the 21-year old center?   He’d been playing his best basketball in his short NBA career. At this point please don’t expect me to sign off on this trade, Magic Johnson has certainly caused me to scratch my head after this move.  The Magic man is on probation with me for the time-being.         

Finger pointing
By the time you read this the tradeline will have passed, Anthony Davis will likely still be wearing Pelican colors.  Why Davis remains in New Orleans rather than Los Angeles is the question.  There is plenty of finger-pointing on my part as to why this trade “crash landed.”    This is likely to be one of the shortest assessments in recent memory.  I’m not going to explore the details just point out the culprits. 
Where do I begin the account, I’m unsure who began the trade talk?  At 6 foot 8 inches and 250-pounds LeBron James is a large enough target, his agent is Rich Paul.  Rich Paul has several NBA clients, one of them is Pelicans power forward Anthony Davis.  My all-time favorite Laker Magic Johnson also is included, how about adding Dell Demps Pelicans VP and GM to the list.  I believe that’s all the suspects in one of the most bizarre trade stories in recent memory.  Oh, I forgot Anthony Davis the chief culprit in this chaos.    
I’ve expressed my disappointment
Mizzou has not played at the level many of the faithful hoped last October.  Wichita State is a program many of us follow, they are playing East Carolina currently.  Wichita State’s overall record at this writing is 10-11, this a program that won 31 games as recently as 2016-17.  The commentator mentioned a re-build is in effect for Gregg Marshall’s team.  It’s not only Wichita State suffering a down year in wins. 
Notre Dame and UCLA are 12-10 while Xavier has compiled an 11-10 record at this writing.  Each of these teams mentioned likely has a basis or maybe several for underperforming to date.  Mizzou is coming off a single winning season while the schools mentioned have been habitual winners for a few seasons.  Much as we’d love for our favorite team to play at a high level every season sometimes it just doesn’t occur.