Sunday, December 9, 2018


BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
That word is heard again
There’s a .com site titled Vice, it’s not a sports site although I’ve read stories from time to time that are sports related.  My eyes glanced on it recently because of a story, “The Spurs Need to Tank the Season.”  Once again, the question is raised regarding teams losing on purpose in order to improve their draft position.  Once again I must remind you it makes no practical sense, unless you draft a LeBron James or Kareem Abdul Jabbar it’s likely you are not going to turn a team around immediately.  The two are among a few able to leave an indelible mark on the first NBA team drafting them.    
This is different (not really)
All joy and merriment at first, not so much now.  Jimmy Butler was greeted with shouts of hurrah on his arrival now Joel Embiid sees a problem.  The anchor to the building block of the Sixers is complaining about shots.  Anytime a player begins complaining about lack of shots we got a problem.  Butler is a talent we know that but so is Embiid, he was there through the losing although injured at times he wasn’t on the court.  Embiid might see the finish line i.e. playoffs and a possible championship.  It will be interesting to see how Brett Brown resolves the issue.  Embiid becomes the second center with Butler issues, the first Karl-Anthony Towns.    
The Palestra
“The Cathedral of College Basketball” or The Palestra holds a distinction.  The building first opened in 1927 is still in use today, it’s home of the Philadelphia Big 5.  LaSalle, Penn, St Joseph’s, Temple and Villanova all have utilized the 8,000-seat arena as home at one time over the years.  Naturally a building this venerable has been refurbished over the course of time.  I’ve never been in the arena however I can just imagine in my mind’s eye the numbers of Hall of Fame players it’s seen over time.  Baseball fans desire to visit Fenway Park in Boston or Wrigley Field in Chicago for there historical connection to their sport.  We could make the same statement regarding The Palestra. 
Laker “Hater”
As the Laker win total improves, I believe It is now time to clear the air, I have been accused of being a LeBron hater prior to him joining MY team. That is NOT correct, my only issue was the manner he left Cleveland for South Beach. I thought it was impressive when he returned and helped the Cavs win an NBA championship. If you read Words eye view last June I speculated (incorrectly) my belief LeBron would re-sign with the Cavs. Yes, I'm pleased he signed with the Lakers but have no aspirations of a championship in 2019. 2020 might be an entirely different development
A truer test
Mizzou plays Xavier on Tuesday, prior to the December 1st game around here talk was “UCF will be a true test”.  I beg to differ; Central Florida had a good record and managed to force an OT.  Mizzou won 64-62 however Xavier scares me more.  Both teams enter the Tuesday contest with 6-3 records.  In this instance I’m looking at teams Xavier has placed on the court in the past, it seems they always field competitive teams. 
As for Friday evening Oral Roberts caused Mizzou to begin slowly, ORU’s zone defense plus poor shooting saw Mizzou with a slight lead 33-26 in the first half.  The second half witnessed Mizzou’s offense (and defense) come alive, a balanced attack saw the Tigers become 80-64 winners.  Six players scored in double figures led by Mark Smith with 14.  Sorry folks it’s the optimist in me, I believe this version of the Tigers will be better.  Not better in the sense they compete for SEC dominance but better in that they finish above .500.  Mark it down, you can laugh at me in April.