Saturday, December 8, 2018



BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
“Which way is up”
“Which way is up” was the title of a 1977 movie starring Richard Pryor, in the movie Pryor played 3 different characters.  The title might also be applied to the Houston Rockets, they appear to have no clue which way is up.  They had all hands on deck for Thursday night’s game yet the Utah Jazz dismantled them to the tune of 118 to 91. The Rockets appear to be lacking focus and direction, this is certainly different for several reasons. 
This is the same Rockets team that came within a pulled hamstring of playing for an NBA championship.  If  the season were to end today their 11-13 record would see them miss the playoffs.  The Rockets have suffered from injuries but so have other teams, is the absence of Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute that valuable to the Rockets?  In closing I could have titled this, “Houston, we have a problem” however I’ve used that lead before.    
Do I believe
Of course, I believe in Gregg Popovich, he’s been one of the great coaches in NBA history.    Anytime he makes a statement in connection with basketball folks snap to attention and listen.  Pop’s view of the game is certainly more valid than mine a basketball fan.  He discusses the game in relationship to 3-point shooting and aspects he believes detrimental over the last several years.  I’m not going to offer a challenge to counter his view, read his concern for yourself on ESPN.com’s NBA page. 
Intriguing
The Lakers called up Isaac Bonga from their G-League affiliate, whether he remains with the A team is another question.  Brandon Ingram’s ankle is day to day, the Lakers needed depth and it’s hoped Bonga can help the team.  Bonga is an intriguing figure for this fan, an unknown prior to the 2018 draft he’s moved rapidly up in the eyes of Laker management.  The Lakers with no draft choice remaining in 2018 requested the Sixers to assist them, Bonga arrived in a trade days later. 
At 6 foot 8 inches and a slim-trim 181 pounds this German youngster was projected as a point guard.  That views changed now as he’s played small forward for South Bay thus far this season.  Laker management days after the draft indicated Bonga was extremely raw and would require time to grow his game.  Projected as a point guard it now appears his true calling may be as a point-forward, it will be interesting to see how this 19-year old develops.  
Leave it alone   
There are plenty of times I believe I’m wasting my time on a subject, this is one of those occasions.  I have mentioned how infrequently I listen to sports talk radio, once again I’m provided a basis for my boycott.  Driving home the other day I turned to one of the local stations in time to hear the rant about the length of time required to complete play in a college game.  This host complaint was the constant start and stops in the game stretch a game with 5 minutes remaining to 30 or so minutes.  I don’t remember the game nor the date it was played but his argument was invalid in my view.   
Most upsetting to me was his contention “That’s the reason I don’t like college basketball.”  I’m quite sure we could uncover 55 reasons for hating the game at this level his argument was number 55 in my view.  While we are detailing hates allow me, I hate the slimy, seedy activity occurring in the game.  I hate college coaches can leave for greener pastures however the players that coach recruits can’t immediately.  I hate the one and done rule, it serves only the interest of the NBA.  I hate the actions of the NCAA at times.  I’m stopping with four hates for me however you might note there was nothing close to me complaining about the length of games.