Monday, December 17, 2018


BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
“Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?”
A few might remember the PBS series titled above.  “The show was created partially in response to the results of a National Geographic survey that indicated Americans had alarmingly little knowledge of geography.” *  We might change the title slightly “Where in the World is Markelle Fultz?”  It’s been an uncounted number of days (weeks) since he’s appeared in a Sixer jersey or been spotted on the bench. 
No one including Sixer management appears to know his status, in addition reports have circulated the team has passed on trade proposals.  Several of the accounts surrounding Fultz have a 007/Jack Reacher look, check those out at your leisure.  History says a few draft choices had short NBA careers due to lack of talent, in this case that appears to be an unknown.  Fultz has not been on the court enough time for his talent to be judged.  At this point the story continues with no conclusion. 
*Wikipedia   
Air I could use (maybe not just me)
I’ve concluded LaVar Ball is using valuable air many of us could use.  He’s quiet for long periods of time and then brings forth some conclusion that can only cause all of us to shake our heads.  The latest pronouncement regarding his son LaMelo Ball.  The elder Ball has concluded “He will have his choice of colleges”, a number were named no need of providing them.  The father has made this decision unsure if his son is going to be deemed eligible. 
At least two Spire Institute games have been cancelled due to questions on LaMelo ‘s “amateur” status.  You know the story he and older brother LiAngelo played in Lithuania although supposedly they “weren’t paid” therefore maintaining amateur status.  Unless the NCAA deems LaMelo immediately eligible we can hear LaVar’s mouth ahead of time.  He will come forth with some ridiculous statement that will cause us to once again shake our heads.      
Although I said it, “I really didn’t intend to follow through.”
Remember the Robert Sarver story, he was going to move the Suns to Seattle or Vegas.  This was to be done should Phoenix fail to renovate Talking Stick Resort Arena.  Well sports fans that’s not exactly true, I only read the headline, so I am unable to provide details.  All I can report is Sarver claims he really wasn’t serious about moving the Suns.  He’s “100 percent committed to Phoenix.”  Hey sports fans I’m the person that says, “If you say it you mean it.”  Sorry Mr. Sarver you don’t escape this easily. 
I’ve always had issues with owners like Sarver.  They sometimes appear to believe they are entitled, “Look what I’ve done brought you a professional sports franchise.  You should be thankful to me for this.”  It’s not as bad as I’ve stated but I said this previously place some of your money in the project.  To me this is a good-faith investment indicating a desire to remain in the community.  The Suns could still leave at some point however this investment indicates a desire to remain a vital part of the community.   
Bits n Pieces 
If true, its apparent Warrior management haven’t learned the lesson.  I believe their management is shrewd, they are not going to make dumb player personnel mistakes……maybe.  The Wednesday edition on the ESPN.com NBA page might prove interesting if true.  They claim the Warriors are trying to sign Kawhi Leonard while retaining KD.  Sounds good on paper, we can be sure they can move money around to pay all the parties.  What about the basketball, Draymon Green doesn’t demand the ball but what about Steph and Klay?  Add those two plus Kawhi and KD, sorry I can’t see it. 
I’m never going to claim I’m always correct or even first, this is one of those times.  Did you read Gonzaga’s Mark Few echoed my comments about the hypocrisy of the NCAA?  You remember, president Mark Emmert stated punishment for those teams named in court would be forth coming.  Of course, the issue would be dealt with AFTER the NCAA basketball tournament.  I will allow that to marinate with you for a while. 
What is it with several of today’s NBA players, they appear to have no belief in science?  First it was the Celtics Kyrie Irving who said, “The earth was flat.”  Recently the Warriors Steph Curry became part of the discussion.  Curry indicated “He didn’t believe NASA astronauts landed on the moon.” I admit there are several historical facts I have no ability to verify.  My only statement to both parties, I’d never hire either of you teach my child, you are great basketball players however you have an unrealistic view of science. 
Former NBA player Rasheed Wallace once received a technical foul for looking at ex referee Steve Javie.  On Saturday night the Lakers Lance Stephenson received a technical foul for playing an air guitar.  After sinking a 3-point basket against the Hornets Stephenson retreating down court began strumming “his guitar.”  Officials considered that a taunt aimed at the opposition hence the tech.