Friday, December 28, 2018

BASKETBALL FROM A FANS PERSPECTIVE
Why might be the question
LeBron is sidelined, focus on the words of a recent interview, he was questioned about “recruiting” players for the Lakers.  LeBron claims he’s always worked at attracting free-agents no matter where he played, an effort was made in Cleveland (with limited success).  As for Miami that was a far different matter, recruiting players to South Beach was not as difficult as Northern Ohio.  It causes us to ponder the question, why is it so much more problematic in one city and not in another?  I’ve always believed an athlete would only be required to live in the city he played in for 4-5 months of the year. 
The large sums of money NBA players earn allow them ultimate luxury even on a rental or leasing basis.  Bizarre as it might seem Klay Thompson’s dad Mychal housed himself in a hotel at one point during his NBA career.  Mychal indicated the ease was the attraction, “My bed is made every day the hotel staff cleans the room and the kitchen is always open.”  Perhaps it’s the night-light aspects plus weather that allow one area to be more attractive than another.  Every July the same 4-5 teams compete for the bulk of high profile free-agents, the other 20 or so teams are left with the remainder.     
Have I been fooled?
That might indeed be the case with Mizzou’s Cuonzo Martin.  A coach is hired by one of my favorite teams and I give him all the opportunity in the world to succeed.  I’m doing that now with the Lakers and Luke Walton, further east (or west) from you is Columbia Missouri home of Mizzou.  Martin has been on the job less than 2 years, Mizzou made an appearance in the NCAA tourney for the first time in like forever (not just seems that way).  Last season it was losing highly touted Michael Porter Jr. for all but 3 games, this season it’s brother Jontay. 
Despite what many referred to as bad luck or karma I discount.  The remaining players are left to extend themselves beyond what they might be is their capability.  There are a bunch of new pieces and very little senior presence, yet Mizzou has 8 wins and only 3 losses.  They could easily have 9 or 10 wins this early season.  The coach has got to be the X factor he’s pushed, pulled and cajoled this team to play beyond their expectations.  I have no idea where this Mizzou team will finish in the SEC race, one thing for sure they won't be out hustled.   
Tell me something I don’t know
That’s often been the case for me with several media members.  It appears at times their discussion(s) become theater, “Hey look at me or listen to this outlandish statement.”  Viewership in the instance of television drives the bus because it generates ratings.  As I’ve often stated there are a handful of people be it NBA or college basketball analyst, I value their opinion.  The main reason I make the statement they provide me (and the audience) with valid information, no hyperbole just cold hard facts. 
Example, prior to the Lakers-Warriors game one member prone to shock-journalism said; “KD will light them up for 40 points.”  KD scored 19 points below the game total this journalist predicted.  You going to say, “Larry Laker you do it as well!”  Of course, I do, I’ve anointed myself Capt. Speculation however I always attempt to ensure there is a possibility I could be wrong.  These radio/television guys want you to believe they are correct all the time.  In closing I always attempt to point out when I’m wrong, these guys rarely do that, mic drop.
I might be the King of Speculation
There are times I believe the headline might apply to yours truly, this in not one of them.  After a game in Madison Square Garden and Zion Williamson comments about playing in New York a few in Knick Nation have gone bananas.  This is what he said, “Forty-one games at the Garden, I mean, I would probably be incredible.”  Naturally Knick fans love the statement and begin to discuss, “What happens if we can draft Williamson and pair him with Kristaps Porzingis?”  No one could claim that would be a bad thing however the possibility of it occurring might be considered astronomical. 
Currently there are 6 or 7 teams that might be “positioning” themselves in the Williamson sweepstakes. Okay just for a moment I will go along with the speculation.  We move to the lottery drawing and are now down to the final two places.  The Knicks and one other team could foresee getting that top pick.  On the other hand, there is a 50% chance the Knicks lose and wind up with the second pick, with just the variables detailed the possibility of Williamson becoming a Knick are far too great to even ponder.  So, the probability of Porzingis at the power forward and Williamson at the small forward might not be in the cards even for the possibility of this combo is not in the cards even for the King of Speculation.