Thursday, May 2, 2019


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

30 for 30
I hope you had an opportunity to see the 30 for 30 on Felipe Lopez Tuesday evening.  The production team of ESPN spent 90 minutes telling us the story of Lopez and his life journey.  Born in the Dominican Republic he arrived on these shores as a 14-year old basketball phenom.  From Rice High School in Brooklyn to St. John’s University and finally the NBA. By now some of you are asking the question “Who is Felipe Lopez?” 
In high school Lopez was rated ahead of Ray Allen, Allen Iverson and several former NBA players.  It’s not a tale of woe despite the fact Lopez experienced little NBA success, it appears he’s in a place of comfort in life at this time.  I would challenge anyone to refer to Lopez as an NBA bust after seeing the documentary.  Hopefully ESPN runs it again or maybe you can catch it on ESPN+ I promise you one central key, its more than a basketball story it’s a life story.    
Does it bother you?
The best basketball player currently in the NBA is not named LeBron James.  That’s shocking to many of you since LeBron is a member of my Lakers.  Allow me to explain, there is no argument, for several years LeBron set the standard for exceptional basketball play.  Steph Curry may have been close, but LeBron is clearly the winner.  At 34-years old (turns 35-in December) we are witnessing the passing of the torch to the next in line.  This succession occurs all the time, we saw Kobe Bryant assume the title and then pass it to LeBron.
I believe that is the guy whose name is impossible to pronounce for most of us.  His name is Giannis Antetokounmpo and he should be named MVP for the 2019 season, I make the statement despite his Bucks team might not win the NBA championship.  If there is one portion of his game that’s not a 10 it’s his 3-point shooting.  It could be improved but at 6 foot 11 inches Antetokounmpo does so many other things well.  As for the headline the fact I’m stating an international player might be the best in the NBA, does it bother you?  It might be a problem for you and several others but not me.     
How does he get out of this?
Arizona’s Sean Miller has been on the hot seat for nearly a year.  His name was first mentioned in the Adidas “Play for Pay” trial held in New York City, Miller was first suspended and then reinstated.   Since that time a cloud of suspicion has hung over him and Arizona basketball.  On Monday a government wiretap was introduced at the trial, a former Arizona assistant is discussing payment to DeAndre Ayton’s family. 
There’s never been any indication Ayton now with the NBA Suns was involved or even aware of this plan.  In the recording the former assistant claims “(Sean) Miller knows about the arrangement.”  The government has no method to verify this account because Miller’s name is mentioned however, he’s not the party on the other end of the call.  Will Miller keep his job, I’m unsure how.  Keep in mind I’m the same guy who said LSU’s coach would be fired and he’s still got a job. 
Laker Nation
April 25, 2019
Dear Laker Nation,
The dust hasn’t completely settled but I thought I’d take time to place my thoughts in front of you.  First, I confess the 2018-19 season has been a roller-coaster for me too.  I thought last July I wasn’t going to get too excited with the acquisition of LeBron James.  I went on record saying, “playoffs in 2019, NBA championship possible in 2020.”  From training camp up till December 25, we saw progress as the Lakers were above .500 and seated in a position leading to the playoffs.  Then disaster struck, the LeBron injury, then Rajon Rondo injured plus his suspension.  Injury struck again to Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram. 
Injury after injury and then the Anthony Davis fiasco, how in the world could a player not on your roster create such chaos.  News reports had the Lakers trading half the team for Davis, the middle of February rumors began circulating the team intended to replace head coach Luke Walton.  The season ended with the sudden resignation of president Magic Johnson.  Where do we go from here might be the next question?  I’ve remained faithful through the losing; I retain my allegiance to this team despite the internal turmoil.  My chief concern at this point is GM Rob Pelinka, can he make the deals necessary to deliver championship basketball?  The “ship will be upright soon”, you don’t abandon ship you begin bailing water out.  This is my team, I will remain steadfast, are you with me?
Larry Laker