Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Basketball from a fan’s perspective

How this Jayhawk became a Tiger
I tell people all the time half joking “I bleed Black and Gold for Mizzou (Purple & Gold for the Lakers).”  That has not always been the case this proud member of Mizzou Nation grew up a Kansas fan, I know that is shocking to many of you allow a brief explanation.  I gravitated to basketball more than football as a youthful pre-teen, all I remember hearing on television or reading in the Kansas City Star were the exploits of Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Bridges, JoJo White and other standouts for the Jayhawks, that became the was team I rooted for.  Kansas was less than 50 miles from Kansas City that made it seem local.       
I’ve always lived in Missouri however Mizzou basketball played two styles of basketball at the time, slow and slower while Kansas played a fast-break wide open game.  The two schools were rivals, but it never manifested itself to the level it would later become. As an adult I went to work for an organization on the Missouri side of State Line Road, it seemed everyone at this company was sporting Kansas gear and expressed their allegiance to the school.  For not appearing to play follow the leader as most of my co-workers when questioned I said, “I’m a Mizzou fan.”  That’s the story of how a little boy who grew up a Jayhawk fan is now a proud member of Mizzou Nation.
Okay Chuck
I said it before, I listen to about half of Charles Barkley’s statements this is one of those times.  “Kyrie said he wanted to be his own man, and now he’s going to be his own man goingon vacation Thursday morning.”  Chuck was referencing the statement Kyrie Irving made at the time he left the Cavs for the Celtics.  I’m sure its probably not funny to Irving. 
Difficult for me to judge
By now you know me and my view of a big man’s game.  I continue to believe if you have a skilled big man utilize him.  This mindset does cause me confusion at times allow me to explain.  Mizzou is attempting to recruit a 6-foot 11-inch freshman transfer Warren Washington.  Washington played this past season at Oregon State and scored exactly 1.7 points a game.  Placing my talent/recruiting hat on for a few moments I have a number of questions regarding this young man.   
Was he overwhelmed adjusting to the college game?  Did he play major minutes as a freshman?  I have a theory or more likely a thought you might see.  In high school perhaps even AAU the opposing team(s) might have had a player who was 2-4 inches shorter guarding him.  As a high school senior Washington averaged close to 25 points a game so it would appear, he’s got an offensive game.  Depending on the site he was rated a 3- or 4-star prospect in high school.  Washington weighs a slim 210 pounds and certainly bulking up should aid his development.     
Who do want to be, Allen Iverson or Kobe Bryant?    
I must give credit where its due, this is partially based on an article I read.  The writer indicated Thunder guard Russell Westbrook is at a crossroads in his career.  He’s set all kinds of personal records, success for his team is somewhat limited.  Their recent playoff record of 4 wins and 12 losses is not very first-rate.  He contrasted Westbrook’s career with that of Allen Iverson.  This is where I part ways with the writer, allow a brief explanation.  The writer claims some of those Sixer teams were not very good and Iverson was the only offensive spark.  This is where the writer and I differ, it’s real tough to compare teams of different eras however this is my view.  The Sixers portion of the writers’ view might be correct. 
I believe at least a couple of those Nugget teams with Iverson, Carmelo Anthony and others might be just as good as any of Westbrook’s teams. Bottom line Iverson is in the Hall of Fame, Kobe will be just as soon as he’s eligible.  The argument might be “is he simply a great player” or “is he a championship player?”  That is the question for Westbrook, rest assured he doesn’t care what I say or anyone else about his NBA career.  The writer posed the question at age 31 before next season ends there remains time, time for Westbrook to make the change.  Unlike the writer I don’t believe change is possible, we’ve witnessed this version of Westbrook for going on 12-seasons.  Why do we or rather why should we expect change?  Change only exists for those willing to undertake the task…. that doesn’t fit Westbrook in my view