Monday, May 13, 2019


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

Is he headed to Mizzou?
As all are aware this is a different age, if the coach is no longer there “neither am I” becomes the affirmation of many a committed prospect.  Last November Kobe Brown a 6 foot 7-inch 220-pound forward made a verbal commitment to Texas A&M.  March 2019 came a change as coach Billy Kennedy was fired, Class of 2019 prospect Brown changed his mind at this point.  Brown announced his choice of schools was open once again. 
He identified several schools under consideration and eventually reduced the list to four schools which includes Mizzou. The other schools were Penn State, Vanderbilt and Minnesota.  The youngster indicated he will make his intentions known on Tuesday.  Isn’t it interesting how someone can boost your confidence in an outcome, that’s what’s occurred?  In this instance I’m going to depend on the Rock M Nation journalists a Mizzou fan website.  This journalist claims it’s Mizzou over Penn State, he believes Vanderbilt and Minnesota have been eliminated from consideration.    
I look at this differently than you…. maybe
Yesterday I indicated my refusal to read or listen to negative comments on the hire of Frank Vogel.  I didn’t say you couldn’t formulate your own opinion I have no intention to read or listen to them.  Bottom line we complain about the president, congress, governor, state legislature, mayor and city council.  We as American citizens have a right to criticize, we pay their salaries. 
We are not responsible for the contract Vogel signed.  Not one penny is required in advance from any of us, on the other hand we cannot make that same statement regarding those who lead in government.  Oh, you claim by attending games paying for a ticket you are part of the process.  Well technically you are but the amount in a $100 ticket might be pennies on the dollar hardly justification for involvement in any decision. 
Curry versus Curry
Blazer point guard Seth Curry is backup to Damian Lillard and because he’s a reserve there are often limited minutes on the court.  On the other hand, Steph Curry is the starting point guard for the Warriors and plays major minutes.  If Lillard gets in serious foul trouble or needs a break it will occur, brother guarding brother.  Younger brother Seth will be matched against older brother Steph during portions of this playoff series. 
Has a similar situation occurred in the NBA’s past?  Pau Gasol has played for Western and Eastern Conference teams it’s my belief although the majority of his NBA career has been in the Western Conference.  As for younger brother Marc has spent most of his time in the Eastern Conference.  The Lopez brothers Brook and Robin with extensive NBA careers have not played one another as far as I can determine. 
“He’s a winner”
That would be my definition of Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni.  He’s been a winner at practically every stop on his resume, he’s only got one problem.  His teams are successful in the regular season but that’s about it.  D’Antoni’s teams usually make the playoffs but fail to advance.  I said one problem maybe there are two, his teams fail to produce great defensive stoppers.  I didn’t say his teams didn’t play defense they just don’t play it consistently. 
Listing to his post-game comments was interesting.  D’Antoni said something to the effect “We have a young team we’ll take a look at revising things.”  My initial question, YOUNG the Rockets don’t have a young team!  Clint Capela at 24 is young, the balance of the starters will be 31, 30, 34 and 34 before next season is complete.  Chris Paul had an outstanding game, but he’s got a great deal of mileage on his body.  We have no idea how the Rockets will be structured next season, but I repeat, they are not a young team. 
This was interesting
Although I'm upset with the dysfunction of the Lakers front office, Saturday morning I dressed in my Laker polo shirt and placed my Laker hat when I left the house. Some of you reading this might refuse to believe this next portion but it occurred. While waiting for the traffic to clear so I could make my left turn a pedestrian was crossing the street in front of me. I waited for him to clear the cross walk and spotted on his head was a Rockets cap. I was tempted to blow my horn and point at my cap, but the thought quickly passed.