Friday, May 10, 2019


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

M.I.A. 
I’m not sure of the date, at some point in late winter or early spring I pronounced Joel Embiid the best center in the NBA.  I based my conclusion on the evidence in front of me, now there is a question.  He might remain the best of the best but against the Raptors he’s been M.I.A., missing in action.  There was an intestinal issue and now a report of an upper respiratory ailment, on top of this he left Tuesday’s game with a back injury.  Is this the basis for the poor play we’ve witnessed thus far?         
There is a disclaimer
The disclaimer at the beginning of this account…. I haven’t seen all the games.  Even if had seen them would it have made a difference other than me formulating my own opinion.  I speak of the Warriors-Rockets playoff series, I can’t remember hearing this much complaining about officiating during a series ever.  I informed you days ago the games in Oakland cause me a problem, with a two-hour time difference and a 9:30 p.m. Central Time start I cannot stay awake to the end.  I might be wrong and could stand corrected, but it appears most complaints have come from the Rockets side.  Man up, play the game and stop complaining about the referees. 
Not the leader we believed
This might sound like a compliant I hope not just an observation.  Kyrie Irving is an extremely talented basketball player; I believe we all can acknowledge that fact.  Despite this he might not be the leader we possibly believed he was.   If you remember the history Irving left the Cavs indicating he “wanted to establish” his own legacy.  We believed he might have grown tired of playing Robin to LeBron’s Batman. 
Although his first season with the Celtics was successful by established standards an injury sidelined him and he missed the playoffs, he gets a pass for his first season with the Celtics.  The 2018-19 season is far different, he’s been basically healthy, and this time was available for the playoffs.  I can’t help but compare his Cleveland situation to that of the Lakers, it’s no telling how many championships Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant might have won if the two could have adjusted better to one another.  
Wore out his welcome
I’m sure Kawhi Leonard wore out his welcome in San Antonio.  Without going into detail (which is not his nature) Gregg Popovich probably grew distraught with Leonard.  I’d sure like to have him on any team I’m starting, 6 foot 7 inches 230 pounds.  He can guard anybody on the court even a center for short periods.  Not only is defense his forte Leonard can score with the best. 
During the regular season Leonard averaged nearly 27 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists a game.  His pace has only accelerated once the playoffs began.  He’s landed on the Defensive First Team three times and is two times NBA Defensive Player of the Year.  What about next season, does Leonard sign an extension   with the Raptors or head for the Clippers, in time we shall have our answer.