Saturday, May 4, 2019


Basketball from a fan’s perspective

An enigma
That’s Joel Embiid’s game to me at times an enigma, quite a while ago I’ve pronounced him the best center in today’s NBA but that’s not the issue.  At times like Thursday night he takes 3-point shot attempts when my desire is for him to play a more traditional big man’s game.  When he shoots 75% behind the line that’s Embiid telling me to shut up. 
We know for an assortment of reasons Marc Gasol cannot guard him, it’s not just his offensive game that makes him the best.  Embiid had 5 blocked shots along with his 33 points and 10 rebounds leading to a 116-95 win over the Raptors.  Unlike my account regarding Giannis Antetokounmpo I don’t believe this one will cause near as much controversy except maybe in Toronto. 
Plenty of push back
May 2, 2019, I pronounced Giannis Antetokounmpo the best player in the NBA.  I stated Father Time is undefeated and age has forced LeBron into second place.  Well several of my friends and acquaintances took exception to my view.  The following are just a few comments I will share.  I hate to admit but probably KD. Except he’s never come close to being required to carry a team like King James.”
Another wrote KD gets my vote. But ____ is correct about carrying the team. He failed when he was Oklahoma.”  The last one said, “Labron (sp) who? The 34 yr old who couldn’t finish the season. The one who has a groin tear that won’t heal. Washed (up) Labron (sp). The best player in the NBA today is KD. Hands down. Ask the Clippers and the Rockets.”  So, there you have it and those were just three, was it an oversight on my part to skip over Kevin Durant?  There is no argument from me Durant is a super talent but inheriting the mantle worn by LeBron James?
NBA Coaching news
The Bulls extended interim Jim Boylen to full-time status, Boylen replaced Fred Hoiberg who’d been fired last December.  Monty Williams has a new job; he will become head coach of the Suns signing a 5-year contract.  By the time you read this the Lakers will likely announce Tyronn Lue will be named head coach for the franchise.  I’ve expressed my concern in the past about hiring Lue however if he is the choice so be it.  
Just shut up
You realize I’ve had a love/hate relationship with many in sports media.  I discovered on Thursday morning I have an ally; one I didn’t realize.  Draymond Green of the Warriors was on Instagram and took exception to the officiating comments by Mike Greenberg on his morning ESPN program Get Up.  I’m not going to do the back and forth on either party let’s just say Greenberg talks a lot (which he is handsomely paid). 
I’m unsure sometimes how much knowledge he’s dispensing, just my opinion doesn’t make it correct.  Part II is aimed at my usual target Stephen A. Smith.  Smith claims (without offering any proof) DeAndre Ayton was boasting last season on campus about “being paid.”  The Arizona portion of the Adidas trial is still pending.  Smith well could be correct however I have one issue, why place a story like this on blast without providing proof other than your opinion.